I guess we are getting ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CARS, Jun 14, 2009.

1. CARS

CARS Songster

It seems as though when you have chickens everyone assumes you want all types of fowl [​IMG]

Our neighbor came by yesterday and asked if we would like a couple ducks. One of her friends likes baby ducks because they are cute but doesn't know what to do with adult ducks. I really despise people who buy on a whim and don't think things out, but I digress.

So later today they are dropping off these ducklings. I don't know what breed they are, how large/small they are. I don't know what to feed them, don't know where I am going to put them, etc. I have had chickens for years but never any waterfowl.

What kind of enclosure do I need? How much square foot per duck? Is 16% layer (chicken) feed good enough or do I need something else?

Any tips would be appreciated! I am taking these ducks because I know I can eventually find a good long term home for them. Who knows, I might just like them enough to keep them! Then again.... where does it stop???

2. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Pics ? care for ducks is like chickens . The need non- medacted feed. are they still ducklings ? how big are they ?

3. Birdgirl

Birdgirl Songster

Mar 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Yes I give mine laying mesh. and I keep mine in a dog house kind of set up. I let them free range during the day and put them in the cage at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: