I had a bad hatch 1 out of 12 eggs, help please :c

aulavexo

In the Brooder
May 3, 2020
This is the first hatch i've ever done and i don't know what ive done wrong :c

I used a Janoel 24 incubator. The eggs were from ebay with good reviews. I marked them with x and o to ensure proper turning using the auto turner. I added 100ml of water everyday into the 1st tray. Temperature was set at 38. I sheered 5 eggs 3 were unfertilized and 2 had quit early.

On the 17th day i candled them i think they looked good, air sac and big shadow of the chick. Locked everything down on the 18th and added more water to the 2nd tray.
Temperature was 37.8 . I got my first pip on day 19 and a hatch on day 20, i left the incubator closed for 2 days and let the lil guy dry off., they knocked the eggs around a bit don't know if this will have affected them. Day 22 no signs of anymore pips. I opened quickly took the chick out and into the brooder. My hygrometer/thermometer finally came and i added it as i took the chick out. Temperature was accurate to the incubator, humidity was between 63 - 71 checking regularly.

Today is the 25th day with no movement or any activity at all. I opened the eggs. 3 were fully formed with feathers, yolk not quite fully absorbed. No pipping through the membrane of any kind. The others were not good, i must have candled and kept them hoping they'd hatch. i think they'd being gone a while.

On day 19 i realized i hadn't closed the vent for humidity, this is the only mistake i can think of. Which i promptly rectified.

Help would be appreciated. What did i do wrong?:c

I currently have 5 Indian runner duck eggs in another incubator on day 16 at a temp of 37.6, humidity of 50-60 and hand turning 3 times a day + warm water misting and cooling. Some advice on these would be wonderful too.

Thanks in advance.

Reading up, i think the humidity may have been too high and during hatching they drowned. I think i'm going to try dry hatching the next ones, as i'm in the UK and have a high ambient humidity.

Constant 37.5 degrees Celsius, Monitor the humidity between 30-40% and don't add water until day 18, where to boost to 65-70%.

Weigh the eggs, goal of a 13% loss by day 18 and track the air cell development.

Does anybody have any advice?

I am in the UK too and after a first failed hatch I started out dry incubating. A note though, I was also tracking the weight of my eggs and the air cell development. I've realised that they were losing proportionally too much (which is probably better than not enough - but still). Anyway, I have started adding a little water now - I am on day 9 and I am hoping the loss evens out. I'd recommend a spreadsheet to keep an eye on it. I am aiming to have about 30-40% humidity in my incs as for me that's seemingly a sweet spot. Where about are you?

Also, have you calibrated your thermometers/hydrometer? I found they were well off last time leading to a sad zero hatch from only 2 fertile eggs.

Looking forward to hearing how you are getting on with this hatch - I am certain we will both have more luck this time.

Best,

B

I am in the UK too and after a first failed hatch I started out dry incubating. A note though, I was also tracking the weight of my eggs and the air cell development. I've realised that they were losing proportionally too much (which is probably better than not enough - but still). Anyway, I have started adding a little water now - I am on day 9 and I am hoping the loss evens out. I'd recommend a spreadsheet to keep an eye on it. I am aiming to have about 30-40% humidity in my incs as for me that's seemingly a sweet spot. Where about are you?

Also, have you calibrated your thermometers/hydrometer? I found they were well off last time leading to a sad zero hatch from only 2 fertile eggs.

Looking forward to hearing how you are getting on with this hatch - I am certain we will both have more luck this time.

Best,

B

Thanks for the reply. I'm also going for a 30-40% humidity. They were brand new, but i will check them now you mention it. Fingers crossed i have a better result.

Back
Top Bottom