I had a guinea show up!

asinnamon

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 29, 2013
New Hampshire
A few weeks ago a guinea just showed up in our yard. He/she had visited the neighbors, but has decided to stay with us. We are in NH and winter is coming. Currently, he free ranges and roosts in the tree next to our house. We haven't kept fowl before and really don't have any idea what his/her needs are. He's been eating bugs(yay!), making friends with his reflection in our cars, front door, etc...So, thank goodness I found this site! I'm headed to the feed store to get some turkey feed for him today since the bugs are starting to decline. What other needs does he have?

1. Does he need friends?
2. Does he need a coop/house/enclosure for the winters here? Snow, ice, storms, temps from 40 to -20.
3. What should I be looking for in terms of sickness, mites, etc...?

Thanks so much!!! He is such a funny little critter! I watched him chase a snake out of the yard last week and yesterday he got sick of the dog being curious and chased our 60 boxer!! it was hilarious!!

Lucky! Our neighborhood guineas never stay with us, haha, but they are entertaining and helpful as you know. :D

My neighbor does not provide shelter for his, they just roost in the pines...I've never seen one all alone, though. :/

Thanks for being willing to care for him! I am going to watch the answers you get since I have considered getting guineas. :)

Guineas are the funniest fuzziest most magnificent fowl.... they eat bugs... fly good.... make funny sounds.... alarm at danger.... protect other fowl from danger... etc
They need chicken feed or game feed from local pet store or feed store.... they may need shelters if it's that cold and stormy ... an elevated coop will be great.... just entice him with food and he'll get in... lock him there for a couple weeks then he'll probably come back for the night ever after.... you can check form external parasites by checking the feathers from the inside.... if he has any lots of good powders or sprays are available at feed stores or pet stores. .. if she's a female.... the eggs are soo good... but you may not receive them immediately.... as she have to settle in for a few months....
The best way of sexing them is by diffreciating their voices.... males and females have different calls... sometimes females will sing the male call... but the male won't sing the female call....lots of good videos on youtube are available so you can know the difference....
Best of luck... keep us updated ;)

Oh.... and yes they will be sooo happy with a partner or more.... and he'll stay with you forever after..... keep reading on raising backyard chickens and other fowls and see all the benefits they get.. besides fresh and healthy organic eggs for the family..

Excellent info!! Thanks!! More questions, lol! Would the coop need heat, or will he be ok without it as long as he is out of the wind, etc...

He seems to be losing feathers, small ones and big ones. Is that typical? There is NO way I could handle him right now, he is very skiddish!

Also, he seems to prefer(so far) the wild bird seed as opposed to the multi-fowl crumbles I got today. Does he just need to 'discover' the new stuff?

Lastly, what type of buddies? More guineas or a couple hens? Will they all just magically get along, that whole birds of a feather thing? Or is like getting a new cat as an adult and introing it to resident adult cat?

Thanks!!

He should be very fine with a good shelter with no need for heat... and he should be molting.... that's loosing old feathers gradually and growing new ones gradually too... nothing to worry about.... especially in this time of the year....
As for partners he will be more happy with ones of his own kind....but hens will be good companions too....

Back
Top Bottom