I had to change dog food - $42 a bag is over the top

I switched from Nutro Max to Natural Choice a couple of months ago. My dogs kept throwing up when on the Nutro. Couldn't figure out why, even a couple of expensive vet visits later. They've been puke free since switching to the Natural Choice. It's pricey stuff, but cheaper than the vet trips.

Same thing happened with the cat. He's on Natural Choice as well.

Quote:
I have to
hugs.gif
you!

Our rott/lab mix gets Beneful and Pedigree. I add stuff to her food, since she only eats once a day. If I don't have any dinner scraps to add to it, I'll put an egg or two in it. Helps with her coat, she gets some bad dry skin sometimes.

I agree though, 40 something a bag is nuts, regardless of what name brand it was. If it came down to all processed foods being that high, our dog would be eating what we're eating.
lol.png

Quote:
I totally agree with you on not trusting processed pet food. Everytime I buy a new bag of the stuff (even my beloved EVO), I wonder if I'm going to kill one of my pets. I save the bags and the wrappers from the canned foods so I'll have some recourse if something happens...again.

I supplement my dogs' food with raw. I would love to feed them totally raw, but that's where I have to draw the line, expense wise. I tried it for a month with my three dogs (the English Bully had since passed away) and it was over $400.00/month.

Quote:
I've heard great things about this food. Alot of rescue people feed it. From what I hear it is VERY comparable to expensive foods. If you have one of these near you (I don't) you should try this if you are in a bind!

Nutrena, a traditionally expensive food, has come out w/a new line of food w/an 'opti-cook' and it much better priced than most the foods I am used to feeding. You can get 40 and 50 lb bags for $25-$30. Check w/your feed store.

Well I too had to switch from the higher price food I used to feed Iams lamb and rice to all my dogs (7 and big to small in size ) and I just could not afford it either the price just keeps going up. I compared so many different kinds my head was spinning and I finally found the Old Roy Lamb and Rice with real lamb as the main ingrediant and my dogs love it. I can not honestly see any difference in them from the Iams versus the Old Roy. It is just under 20 bucks a 40 pound bag, much cheaper then 40 bucks for 35 pounds or Iams. I will get Pedigree if I can find a sale on it or a bonus bag deal. They like the chicken and rice in that but it only comes in a 20 pound bag. I do feed Iams to my two toy breed girls though since an 8 pound bag last almost a month. My husband has 5 Chihuahuas and they only like the expensive senior dog food but he has to foot that bill so he does it grudgingly.. Trudy
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

LOL..linda in san diego...
lau.gif
..i actually do feed them that!...i just stay out of thier way...
wink.png
...Wendy

Back
Top Bottom