I had to do it

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by silkiechick05, May 18, 2010.

1. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    My temp was 101.2 during lockdown

That was wayyyy to high so I opened the bator to toggle it down one ( I have a 1588 )

will they be okay?

2. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    They'd probably have been better off if you hadn't. At that stage in the game humidity is of utmost importance and, unfortunately, is quickly lost when the bator is opened.

3. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I wouldn't have toggled it down either. The thermometer that comes with it is not reliable and the electronic ones they sell can be off too. Then is also the question where you measure. On top of the egg gives you a high reading, one the screen a low one. On the turner you get another one. I've seen 99.x on the screen and 101.x on top of eggs with the turner. The maker says they are extremely well set and you should run several hatches before you mess with it.
    Katharina

4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    101. anything isn't too high. I would watch it and see if it comes down. But don't worry. It's more the loss of humidity when you open it than temp. Are any eggs pipped??

5. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    I have two out!!

Three pipped awhile a couple hours ago... but haven't made any progress.

6. patnjess

patnjess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    yikes, what would ya'll think if I said I open the bator when needed during lockdown and hatching? Never knew you shouldn't. I have awesome hatch rates. I have only had a few that never hatched and most were lost right away [​IMG] but I live in florida, and its soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo humid, its actually more humid outside the bator.

7. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Oh, I open my bator whenever I need to during hatching too. But I have learned the value of quickly give it a hit on my humidity pump (Rcom Suro King) and the humidity is back up within seconds. Before I started hatching silkie it didn't seem to make any difference, but silkies are just different for some reason.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by