1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I had to do it...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickensista, Jun 8, 2008.

1. chickensista

chickensista Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    CT
    I killed my first chicken today. I knew I would have to do it, but kept putting it off. She regularly gets eggbound. She had been bad for awhile and my usual measures hadn't helped. I'm leaving for 5 days today and I was really worried about her. I decided I couldn't leave her in this heat wave with the chickensitter. I guess its for the best.
    Thanks for listening.
    Terry

2. riderbecky

riderbecky Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ottawa Valley
    Sounds to me that what you did was an act of mercy. Don't feel badly about it. [​IMG]

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Sounds like you did the right thing, and putting her wellbeing before your own is never an easy thing to do. She is certainly in a far better place... most likely with some kind of after-worldly a/c! [​IMG]

4. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    So sorry, hope it went as easily as could be for you. I noticed you're from weston, I was born and raised in Wilton! moved to maine 7 years ago.

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    What a sad thing to have to be done

6. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I can't imagine how hard it was for you to do (I haven't had to do it, yet) but you must have really loved her to do that for her, rather than have her suffering in the heat, and possibly eggbound, while you were gone. :aww Just shows what a kind and caring chicken mama you are. I'm sure everyone here thinks the same thing. Don't worry over it while you are gone...you did the best thing for her.

Shelly

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

[​IMG]

8. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

sred98 put it perfectly. So sorry you had to go through that.

9. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Kudos for doing the right thing, no matter how hard it is to do.

Hugs...

10. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I have only culled a few crippled day old chicks so far... not sure if I would be up to butching a well liked and cared for hen. I do have a very nice Vietnamese friend with a young family that will happily take any bird of any age off my hands, which is nice to know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by