I had to kill my prized hen today because of maggots!!!

hugs.gif

Stuff happens.
You didn't do anything wrong. Never be afraid to try again. :)

Last edited:
Maggots often go on to burrow and eat healthy flesh too. She may have had even more of them, internally, than you realized.
How sad for you, I'm sorry.

Last edited:
Im so sorry about your pretty hen
hugs.gif
Don't blame yourself, this stuff happens to the best of them. Maggots can hit so fast and they are always unexpected
sickbyc.gif
. You are a good chicken keeper
frow.gif
, and what you learned from this sad and shocking experience will make you a even better chicken keeper
thumbsup.gif

I am sorry for your loss also. That is a traumatic event, especially for a new chicken owner. That can leave a nasty taste in your mouth so to speak. Please Please dont let that stop you from going on. What you did was correct to do. It was the humane thing to do. How you did it was correct too. you did not let her suffer. the chances that she would make a clean recovery without much suffering was small. Dont feel guilty either. We all have to do those things in life that we are not good with, but know is right.

Keep going keep going!!!!!!
smile.png

I am sure one of us here would be more than willing to offer you a hatchling or bird that may start you on your road to 'chicken luv' once again. If you were localor wanted to I would drop you off one of my hens. they are not 'expensive pure breeds', but they offer much humor and fun just the same. (it would be hard to part with them, but for a good cause!)

I am so sorry for your loss. You were brave to do what you did, but it sounds like it was the right thing. I'm glad you posted this story here for the rest of us to learn from. We'll all keep an eye out for such things now.

Keep them CLEAN. most importantly. no open wounds, keep the coop clean and dry, That's all I have to do. I do put up fly strips in my coop, I have good ventilation, and I clean my litter with a cat scooper for the poop for my 11 chickens daily. nothing for the flies to dine on? no flys. I check my girls vents fairly often if i see they are not normal poo's and I clean the area with a hose or a pan of water if they start to get pasty.

Not sure how everyone else does it, but that's how I do it.

How heartbreaking
hugs.gif

BUT this is something you will NEVER forget - in fact you will probably save another chicken's life because you are now sensitive to this problem.

Saving others.........this will be your chicken's legacy.

So sorry to here about this! As much as this hurts, please remember that you AND us other newbies have learned from this.

fishnet, what a wonderful, thoughtful offer!! I am so greatful to this site and its great members!!

Back
Top Bottom