I hand spin wool!!

lindsay297

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 29, 2012
Petawawa, Ontario
Hi there....my girlfriend and I hand spin wool from sheep, llama and alpaca. We are always looking for breed specific fleece and are willing to buy or pay shipping when we can find them. We also sell the spun wool through our on line shop. We can do a crochet and knit spin and we love it.

Would love to hear from others that do handspinning and enjoy the soothing comfort of the wool!!

I have always been intrigued by wool spinning. But I don't have time for more hobbies, lol!
You must end up with some really neat colors. Any pictures of your wool.
Do you mix the wools or keep them breed specific?

I will get pics up as soon as I can. We do both breed specific spinning as well as mix of many. We also hand dye as well so can get some really neat mixes. This is my hobby as well as my home business so I guess I am blessed that I can mix the 2!! LOL.....I know what you mean by adding hobbies and no time.

Do you use drop spindle or wheel?
love.gif
I do both - and anything I can get my hands on ... the cat, the dog, sheep, alpaca, goats .... haven't tried the squirrels but they are looking rather fluffy ....

Ahhh, another spinner! Have you seen the BYC Spinning thread?? https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/120216/byc-spinning-fiber

This past year I've been experimenting with processing, spinning and weaving Spanish moss for U.S. Civil War reenactment. One of the first books I got when I started spinning was In Sheep's Clothing. I've been trying to spin every wool in that book. I tape samples inside (raw, processed, spun).

Fiber is part of my every day life in one form or another.

Last edited:
Do you use drop spindle or wheel?
love.gif
I do both - and anything I can get my hands on ... the cat, the dog, sheep, alpaca, goats .... haven't tried the squirrels but they are looking rather fluffy ....

I use both but, prefer my wheel. I have a newf and a rough collie at my disposal so I have tried my hand at dog. I would love to try goat!! There is a pygora breeder near me and one day I am going to knock on their door! We also have a buffalo breeder near us and have thought about giving it a try!

Mullerslanefarm I have not seen it but, will see the thread today!! So excited to talk with others about this amazing hobbie/meditation!!

Bison fiber ... it is easiest to collect it from the fence!! Very unusual fiber. A spinning friend of mine & I collected a lot of local bison fiber (from the fence). We were able to identify 6 different types of fiber from this herd. The down being the warmest (and shortest) and nicest to spin. We spun some up before separating it out. The yarn was so coarse that it was only worth our while to separate it.

Angora goat (especially kid) is wonderful to spin with. I like to combine it with wool to give the yarn extra lustre. A nice long staple and few twists per inch makes a wonderful yarn. With all things fiber, "it depends" though, older angora goat hair can be coarse (or fine!) and even kid angora can be coarse if their feed isn't conducive for growing their locks.

My personal favorite is Jacob. I just finished a grey/brown fleece and posted a pic of a couple bobbins on the spinning thread. Bad pic but lovely look. My husband wants a sweater from it. I will have to see if I can get a pic of the cotswold/merino we did a while back. White with dyed red!! Really beautiful!!

I like Icelandic and Romney. But anything will do. I had the opportunity to spin wolf. Very cool! Also coarse as they were old wolves. My little terrier has a nice undercoat in the winter but the golden cross has the best fur - I mix it with a little sheep wool.

Back
Top Bottom