I hatched out a frizzle? What special care does it need?

LillyAcresFarm

Chirping
Aug 13, 2020
Pipestem, Wv
I had a bantam frizzle mix hatch. I’ve never had a frizzle what special cats do they require. Can I keep it with my standard size chickens. Do I need to care for it’s feathers a certain way. Should I let it free range with the others or should it be locked in a run.

Attachments

• CFFAAAE8-99E0-4047-AD5C-5A6CC44C1CA1.jpeg
    CFFAAAE8-99E0-4047-AD5C-5A6CC44C1CA1.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 6
  • CAE726EA-69DF-46FE-89EC-1F46B4298581.jpeg
    CAE726EA-69DF-46FE-89EC-1F46B4298581.jpeg
    235.1 KB · Views: 5
I had a bantam frizzle mix hatch. I’ve never had a frizzle what special cats do they require. Can I keep it with my standard size chickens. Do I need to care for it’s feathers a certain way. Should I let it free range with the others or should it be locked in a run.
I don't see why it should be locked in a run if the rest of your birds free range. I have my frizzle in with my standard sized birds, but it depends on how your other birds are. Unless your frizzles are show birds they don't need any special care, and even then it is debatable whether or not they need special treatment.

One of the two bantam cochins I got from a 4-H girl is a frizzle, which I initially refused (I REALLY wanted her blue-laced red Wyandotte). The frizzle free-ranged during the day with and slept at night with full-sized chickens. I agreed to take the barred bantam cochin so the BLRW wouldn't be lonely with no friends from her previous flock, but I worried that northern Iowa's frigid and windy winters would be too harsh for the frizzle. Anna rightly pointed out that the little one had done fine in an unheated coop and free-ranging with the others the previous winter. And, the little red would be the only bantam left in her flock.

And, that's not only a story about how frizzles aren't necessarily as delicate as I was led to believe but also shows how chicken math works. All I wanted was the Wyandotte.

Back
Top Bottom