I hate car shopping.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by spookyevilone, Jan 27, 2009.

1. spookyevilone

spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    My car died rather spectacularly last week. I've been trying to shop for a new one. I want a Subaru Forester, not necessarily new, but under 10 years old and hopefully less than 125k miles.

First dealer, I went into by myself:
    Him: "Ha ha ha.. you know that Subarus are the most-owned cars by lesbians? You sure you don't want the Audi Allroad?"
    Me: *flat stare* "Why would I want the Allroad?"
    Him: "Well.. you're.. I mean.. you're not.. You don't seem to be a.. um.. "
    Me: *staring at him and watching him twitch*
    Him: "Guess I put my foot in that, huh? So.. the Subaru.."
    Me: "Get your manager."
    Him: "Now, there's no need for that! I'm real sorry, I didn't know you were a.."
    Me: "Get. Your. Manager. RIGHT. NOW."

And then I got him sent home for the day. I found it inappropriate, unprofessional, and completely offensive that he'd try to sway me with the fear that ZOMG!!! Someone might think I'm A LESBIAN!! if I drive a Subaru.

Second dealer, I brought That Guy, because he wanted to see how the Forester handled.. since he'd be borrowing it for camping trips.
    Dealer: *immediately talks to That Guy and ignores me as though I don't exist*
    That Guy: *points to me* "She's the one buying the car."
    Dealer: *acknowledges my existence like I popped into life just that moment.* "Well, hello there, little lady.."
    We go look at the car.
    Me: "What can you tell me about the specs on the engine?"
    Dealer: "Oh, it's an automatic."
    Me: ......"Ok, that tells me the TRANSMISSION type.. but what about the ENGINE?"
    He didn't know. He'd "have to look it up". We left. Any sales person who can't figure out that the specs of the engine are written on top of the engine and you can see them just by lifting the hood doesn't deserve my business.

Third dealer:
    Dealer: "Aw, you don't want the Forester. That's not a good family car."
    Me: ".. I don't have a family."
    Dealer: "But you will someday. You want something with more carrying space, like a minivan."
    Me: "No. I don't. I want a Forester."
    Dealer: "No, no you don't.. Trust me, it's impossible to cart a bunch of kids and their gear around in one of those. We have a really nice Caravan.."
    Me: "I don't have kids."
    Dealer: "Well, time will fix that.."
    Me: "And when it does, I'll buy a bigger car. For now, I want a Forester."
    Dealer: "Let me show you the Caravan.."
    Me: "Goodbye."
    Dealer: "Wait!"
    Me: "No."

In addition to all this crap, I "don't have enough credit". So.. because I make enough that I've never needed a credit card or a loan, and the only "revolving credit" I have is my Bally's membership, I need a cosigner to get a car. Even with a downpayment half the amount of the car. This irritates the utter snot out of me.

GRR! [​IMG] It's a brownie kind of day. I'm at the point where I'm going to buy an old, used car that I can pay for all but $1000 of, finance the last $1000, pay it off for six months, then get rid of the old car and buy a new one since then I can actually GET financing for it. Just.. so.. annoyed!

Anyone else have dealership horror stories?
    -Spooky

2. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Well, only that you must be sending mixed signals.

I mean, first you're a lesbian, then you're going to need room for a van load of kiddies. [​IMG]

(I'm just kidding. I once went to a car dealership and the owner wouldn't let me test drive anything. I walked to the car dealership next to his and left half an hour later with a new car. He didn't think I was old enough to buy a car.)

3. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    [​IMG]

4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    "Hi, I want the truck you have advertised."
    "Oh well you know we have THIS one with the extra stuff"
    "I want to see the truck you have advertised"
    "This one has an extra cab and...."
    "I want to see the truck you have advertised"
    "What about...."
    "Bye"
    "What color did you want?"

So I got my truck.

Next time around I went and bought a Saturn. No dealing, no pressure. I went to their website and found what I wanted, added accessories I couldn't live without. Printed it, went to the dealer ship and handed it to them. Wrote a check for the down. I had financing in place so it was easy peasy. I will not dicker over a car.

5. spookyevilone

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    Quote:I know, right? [​IMG] I was equally offended by both stereotypes.

Heh.. I got carded at a Rated-R movie the other week [​IMG] I laughed so hard.
    -Spooky

6. spookyevilone

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    Quote:I loved my Saturn, but their seats and my back don't play nice anymore. [​IMG] I don't dicker either. I know exactly what car I want, I know what I can pay for it, and if they can't work with that, I leave.

You'd think, with the car industry in such trouble, they'd be throwing cars at people who can put half down.. but no.
    -Spooky

7. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    Quote:you're not even old enough to be squeezin that there feller standin next to ya.

miss prissy....ksacres needs a balloon in between their young bodies if they are gonna be a dancin together like that!

...hmmm...maybe that sounded more wrong then i intended it too.

me,
    g

8. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    The best one was a truck listed for 7000.00
    I went there and said "I'll buy that truck for 6000.00"
    Dealer says, "Great! we can do that. come on in and we'll do the paperwork." almost shaking my hand of as we went inside.
    He did the old, undercoat, UV paint coating, scotchgard, this fee and that fee etc... until it was 7500.00 out the door.

I said, " I said I'll buy that truck for 6000.00 you said "we can do that..." I didn't ask for all that other jazz. Get the manager. "
    after a few minutes of hem and haw, I get to the manager office.

"Your guy promised to sell me that truck for 6000.00, I shook his hand. Now he says it's 7500.00. He did not agree to 6000.00 plus tax, tag, and title, he said 6000.00. You have my 6000.00, I wan the truck as you promised. You don't really want to break a legal contract. You've got 45 minutes to get it down to 6G's or I walk with the papers." I clicked the timer on my watch, then dropped a roll of 100's on his desk and sat down.

He turned bright red, tried to argue, but I got my truck.

9. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Salesmen are their own breed [​IMG]

When my dh and I went car shopping together the first time, I don't know how many dealerships we visited before we found one that would talk to ME. Why do they always think it's the man's decision? I do our bills, the car was for me, what are they thinking?

10. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    that you were 13.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by