I hate coyotes!!

Just be careful of small/young kids outside. I am scared of coyotes now as an adult becuase of one i ran across while five (maybe six but i am pretty sure i was five) i was walkinng my dog and one came out and tried to attack me if it hadnt been for my collie/ golden retriever mix (God provided) i wouldnt be now.

Sometimes coyotes will send a lone coyote to get a large dog to follow it and then the rest of the pack surround the dog and kill it. It is very unlikely that the coyote was trying to attack you (unless it had rabies) it was probably trying to prey on your dog. Near where I live a pack of coyotes, using the method I mentioned above, killed 3 large hounds in 1 night.

I'm calling BS on this.  Yotes do not run in packs that large.  It's rare you'll find more than half dozen running together.  I have decades of coyote calling experience.

The size of the pack depends on the size of the prey, and the availability of food. I would no be so quick to call bs, just because you have experience in your area with the animals.

Sometimes coyotes will send a lone coyote to get a large dog to follow it and then the rest of the pack surround the dog and kill it. It is very unlikely that the coyote was trying to attack you (unless it had rabies) it was probably trying to prey on your dog. Near where I live a pack of coyotes, using the method I mentioned above, killed 3 large hounds in 1 night.

I had an uncle lose 2 Rottweilers this way.

my advice would be get a rabbit or something they will eat put it in a live trap and sit and wait till they come and shoot them

Expect for the fact my dog came back both times she fought him. And the fact his eyes werent on her they were on me. There are lots of case were coyotes have attacked small children and even adults. Sorry but i know what happened and my dog was not the target.

Dogs can't be killed by coyotes if they are not left out by themselves. My dogs were never out without a human & never left to run at night. Always on a leash after dark. Good luck getting rid of the coyotes.

Dogs can't be killed by coyotes if they are not left out by themselves.  My dogs were never out without a human & never left to run at night. Always on a leash after dark.  Good luck getting rid of the coyotes.

People that live in towns, and people that live in rural areas have different mindsets. I love my dog, and fortunately she is smart enough to stay near the house, but she stays out all night. She prefers it out there. She loves the cold, and is away from the bothersome, loud, kids. The only time she wants to come in is during storms, hates getting wet.
But she is a farm dog. A chain is unnecessary and would hinder her job of protecting the farm.
And your mistaken about night being the only danger. We have a dog who considers the entire farm his territory. he is a mutt, but he is huge. He has gotten tricked by the one coyote leading him to a pack a couple of times out in the field while my husband was working. He has always managed to get away, but it will probably happen.

I don't live in town & I still would never leave a dog out all night unprotected. Real trained guard dogs are different. To each his own, but a coyote can't get an animal that is not left outside alone. My dog is never out without me during the day either, so no coyote problems there. Luckily here in the country I have only had to deal with 1-2 dogs in 31 years that were left out unattended running the neighborhood.

I am the same way organic my dogs stay outside, i love them but its their job to protect they yard/ranch they do bark to alert us of problems and we go out and shoot the problem. They like being inside but i dont allow it because we have carpet and with a toddler and baby(on the way) its justnot sanitary so they stay out as do our cats who guard the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom