I HATE digging trenches for wire!!!!!!!!! HELP!

Quote:
thank you so much, you just gave me a tremendous DUH moment!
lol.png
i've been fretting and fretting about how i'm going to bury wire because my soil is nigh undig-able, full of rocks and scree and ledge. there is no earthly way i was ever going to be able to dig a foot down (you should see me try to dig holes to bury pets around here) in a trench for a 12x24 run!

so, yes, if i can't dig, chances are good no one else can either. (for the worry warts [including me], i will be abutting the frame of the run to bricks or concrete pavers.)

Trenching is my chore in the next few days. (Today I'm putting shingles on the coop roof
big_smile.png
) I am going to use a cutter mattock to initially break the surface, then continue with that or switch to a shovel. My dirt is clay, so hard as cement. I have to get the 8x8 coop trenched, then right after that I get to do the run. That's gonna be a good 50' or so. FUN!
hmm.png
Sure hope these chicks can feel the love
lol.png
Anyhow, I've had the wire attached to the coop and on the ground in a skirt for a couple weeks now (chooks not yet in residence in the coop), and I eyeball it every day knowing it is going to be a tremendous job. So I've been trying to think of ways to make it easier on me, and just as secure or even MORE secure. I think I'm going to bury the stuff not quite a foot deep, just let it skirt out farther underground; a little shallower, but wider. Given the reasonable price of bagged cement, I am going to invest in several bags of that and amend my reinforcement with that. I plan on leaving at least a thin layer of dirt over the top of that just so any diggers will leave evidence I can see.

I like the rototiller idea- only problem with mine is that I cannot to save my life start the thing
hmm.png
I always have to have DH get it running then I take over and do my rototilling.
cool.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom