I HATE fire ants! I hate them hate them hate them!!!!!!

My sister teaches at a small private elementary school that is small enough that all the teachers and all the families know each other. She was out on the playground after school one day watching the children of fellow teachers and some families while thier parents did parent/teacher conferences. They have a fire ant problem, but the school kids know where the mounds are and now just avoid them. She said that day there was a 2 year old sibling out there playing with them and he accidentally wandered into one of the mounds. He, of course, started screaming and the other children immediately starting yelling "He's in the FIRE ants. He's in the FIRE ants!". She snagged him up and got him brushed off and washed off. As she was treating his bites and he was snuffling to himself, she asked him if he was okay now. He snuffled a little more and held up the hand that had gotten bit and finally said "I fink so. I'm not on fire." Poor baby apparently was having visions of bursting into flame. She rushed to assure him that he was not going to spontaneously combust but rather the term referred to the fact that the bites burned so bad. Poor kid was just waiting for it.
tongue.png

Quote:
From what I remember about using DE in the garden is that the broken silicon cell walls of the diatoms of which it is composed acts as shards of glass, which rip into the bodies of arthropods (insects, spiders, millipedes, etc) that walk through them. The arthropods soon die from dehydration. It works as a mechanical killer, not a chemical killer, so there is no need to worry about poisoning anything or immunity developing.

smile.png

Bingo. DE sounds like the way to go from what I've read. It would be much more fun to use gasoline and a match, but that's risky...

Plus, putting it scientifically like AquaEyes did makes it sound REALLY painful, but then again, science makes everything sound painful.

Quote:
Except there have been about ten people posting on this thread that say they have tried it and it didn't work.

Has anybody noticed how the fire ants seem to have a signal (pheromones maybe?) to give everybody the word to bite? You don't know you have them on you until they all give it to you in unison.

Quote:
Except there have been about ten people posting on this thread that say they have tried it and it didn't work.

Yeah, I already recanted that suggestion. It worked for me with aphids on roses, but I guess the ants have much tougher exoskeletons.

Has anybody noticed how the fire ants seem to have a signal (pheromones maybe?) to give everybody the word to bite? You don't know you have them on you until they all give it to you in unison.

This thread has prompted me to read up on them online, and yes, they do have a pheromone response initiating attack. Much of ant communication is through pheromones. They don't have the internet yet.

tongue.png

I was recently working around the coop I am building, and kicked through a hill, twice....I didn't have time to put down Amdro and wait for the queen to die....I just went in the house, got the can of Black Flag roach and ant killer, and saturated the area, about 1' outside of the hill....They were all dead within minutes.

Nasty little bugs wait until you're covered, and then they all bite. HATE HATE HATE them!!!!

A friend's kid didn't say "ouch" when he was little he said "ant". I've seen one poor toddler who sat down on a step that had an ant's nest. She ended up with something like 150 bites on her tiny body. If you don't know what the bites are like, they hurt and itch, and last a long time. They also don't make much of a mound when it is dry, so it is hard find them to get rid of.

Google fire ant bite images....but beware, it's not for the faint of heart.

Quote:
I agree. she is such a dutiful mama and carefully rolled each of the eggs away and continued to sit on them.

If this nest gets attacked i'm going to move her to a broody pen and slips some babies under her

Quote:
I agree. she is such a dutiful mama and carefully rolled each of the eggs away and continued to sit on them.

If this nest gets attacked i'm going to move her to a broody pen and slips some babies under her

You're a good mama too Kristen!

Back
Top Bottom