I hate Long beach ca

Long Beach Municiple Codes

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=16115&stateId=5&stateName=California

6.20.020 - Fowl—Number restricted.

No person shall keep or maintain more than a total of twenty (20) live fowl or any combination of such animals on any lot or parcel of land within the city.

6.20.030 - Fowl—Distance from dwelling.

A.
Except as provided in Subsection 6.20.030.B., no person shall keep or maintain any live fowl within the city less than fifty feet (50') from any single-family or two-family dwelling or less than one hundred feet (100') from any hotel or dwelling occupied by, or designed for the occupancy of three (3) or more families.

B.
One (1) live fowl may be kept or maintained as a pet on any lot or parcel of land within the city, provided that the pen, coop or other such enclosure for any such pet fowl shall be no less than twenty feet (20') from any structure designed or used for human habitation.

6.20.050 - Crowing fowl prohibited.

No person shall keep or maintain or cause to be kept or maintained any crowing fowl.

6.20.070 - Fowl—Enclosure sanitation.

Wherever live fowl are permitted to be kept or maintained in the city, no person, so keeping or maintaining such fowl, shall fail at any time to keep the coops, pens or yards wherein such fowl are enclosed in a clean and sanitary condition nor shall fail to remove the manure or other debris from such enclosures daily. No person shall fail to conform to and abide by the rules and regulations of the health department with reference to the keeping of such fowl in such enclosures.

(Ord. C-7781 § 1, 2001)

6.20.080 - Fowl—Running at large prohibited.

No person shall allow any fowl owned or controlled by such person to run at large.

Big Mami wrote:

... and I know one woman who is trying to change the ordinance. Her name is Donna Marykwas and her group is Long Beach Grows. If you haven't signed her petition yet, here's the link:
http://www.longbeachgrows.org/LongBeachGrows/Chickens.html
You can also join her group and follow it on facebook. Donna has spoken to the person at the city council who is in charge of creating new laws, and it doesn't look hopeless. At some point, she might speak at a city council meeting, and we should all come out to support her if/when that happens.

I got an email from Donna yesterday, via LongBeachGrows. "This Wednesday 4:00 PM at City Hall will be an opportunity to show your support of urban agriculture in Long Beach. The Office of Sustainability will be discussing urban agriculture to the Sustainable City Commission who will then hopefully bring the issue before City Council. If you are interested and have time, you might want to attend to share your views and support. Hopefully it will come before City Council at a later date, where your support may be just what it takes to push this through. I am sorry that I could not give you more notice." As Big Mami said, Donna is working with the city to hopefully change the Long Beach codes. If you live in Long Beach and either want to or do keep chickens, go to the meeting and help speak up for backyard chickens and voice your opinion.​

Last edited:
What kind of "girls" are you talking about? Chickens? Ducks?

I live in Cypress, right on the border of Long Beach. Is there something I should be worried about? I never looked at laws before getting my ducks. I got them for gardening purposes and because I love animals....

Should I be scared right now? :s

I hate Long Beach too. I just got a notice to get rid of my girls. My neighbor behind me called coincidentally a couple days after I asked her if her teenage boys could stop running and jumping off my garage roof into their pool. I went over and left my phone number with her son and she called me. She said they squawk in the morning and wake her husband up. I told her I wished she would have come and talked to me like grown ups to resolve it amongst ourselves. I would have sound proofed their coop and kept them in it later if that would've helped but now its too late! Authorities are involved. Stupid one chicken law! Who wants one lonely chicken? I have five. How can I get this law changed?

The best route to take is one of diligence and become a friendly, consistent face at the city commission meetings and keep bringing to them the issue of modifying the current law as inhumane as chickens are not intended to be a single animal but would do better with a few more. Get your facts together, present in a concise, knowledge manner and don't be combative. Find other communities close to you that allow chickens and review their rules and regulations etc... how can their experience assist you with your project. Find others in your community that agree with you. If the sustainability group is still active can they assit you?

Quote:
ADA significantly tightened their rules on service animals in the recent past; a lot of species that were previously allowed are now excluded. Companion animals are distinctly NOT covered.

Quote:
My thoughts too.
hugs.gif

Quote:
Maybe put in an automatic door opener/ closer and set it to let the chickens out at dawn and lock them in after dusk. The neighbor's gripe about waking her husband might be valid, and if he isn't disturbed anymore by hens demanding to be let out with the sun, they might not think to complain to the city again, especially if they think you only have one hen the city said you could keep. I love my coop door opener. I think it is a must have for city chicken keepers.

Come to the Los Angeles Chicken Enthusiasts meet up at the Farm Lab in Long Beach next Sunday to talk to others that keep chickens in Long Beach and surrounding communities, and what they think can be done. Here is a link to the event announcement. So far, they only meet up in L.B. once a year, so I hope you can make it. They just changed it from Saturday to Sunday, I think.
Long Beach Meet up of Chicken Keepers

Last edited:
Hi everyone! Just in case your interested I would like to invite you all to our next meet-up! The San Diego Chickens Club meet-up is rescheduled for Saturday July 23rd, at Lake Murray, starting at 11am... more info and directions here:

http://sandiegochickens.webs.com/apps/calendar/

It's a potluck so please bring something to add to the table, chairs, drinks, and any chickens you have for sale, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom