I hate Long beach ca

Oh goodness, I am not allowed to post on the other forums that I have a rooster that needs a new home, and I cannot post on the buy, trade, sell forum until I rack up 20 posts. I am at 10, super sigh. And I don't know if this is a violation of posting in forums, but I am in the Long Beach area, I'm in the town over in Norwalk. I just remembered that I have an event to make tonight in Torrance, so I won't be able to attend this important meeting for the public. Please let me know how it goes tonight, I am interested in knowing, Thanks!

The Thursday night public hearing went okay. But I did hear from a few attendees (that also went to the Monday meeting) " it did not go so well at the other public hearing on Monday, especially for the bee keeping lobby."

Unfortunately, there were no city council members present, only a representative from the sustainability commission and a representative from Animal Control. There were approximately 45 people in attendance, with two women extremely vocal against keeping any chickens, goats, or bees in Long Beach, especially if their distance from neighbors was less than 50 feet. Most everyone else supported relaxing the ordinance on keeping chickens.
It appears the sustainability commission plans to propose to the council members on the environmental committee on June 26th the following in regards to backyard chickens in Long Beach:
  • up to 4 hens may be kept without required distance from neighboring residence
  • 5 to 10 hens may be kept at least 25 feet from neighboring residence
  • 11 to 20 may be kept at least 50 feet from a neighboring residence
  • if 5 or more are kept, owner must obtain a one-time permit from Animal Care Services
Although there was some discussion that the "up to 4 hens without required distance" should be increased to 6, most attendees were happy to hear there may be an allowance for residences with teeny tiny yards being able to have at least a few chickens.

If you want the ordinance changed, make sure to come to the meeting on June 26th, or contact the city council members on the committee, especially councilman O'Donnell.

Last edited:
The Thursday night public hearing went okay. But I did hear from a few attendees (that also went to the Monday meeting) " it did not go so well at the other public hearing on Monday, especially for the bee keeping lobby."

Unfortunately, there were no city council members present, only a representative from the sustainability commission and a representative from Animal Control. There were approximately 45 people in attendance, with two women extremely vocal against keeping any chickens, goats, or bees in Long Beach, especially if their distance from neighbors was less than 50 feet. Most everyone else supported relaxing the ordinance on keeping chickens.
It appears the sustainability commission plans to propose to the council members on the environmental committee on June 26th the following in regards to backyard chickens in Long Beach:
  • up to 4 hens may be kept without required distance from neighboring residence
  • 5 to 10 hens may be kept at least 25 feet from neighboring residence
  • 11 to 20 may be kept at least 50 feet from a neighboring residence
  • if 5 or more are kept, owner must obtain a one-time permit from Animal Care Services
Although there was some discussion that the "up to 4 hens without required distance" should be increased to 6, most attendees were happy to hear there may be an allowance for residences with teeny tiny yards being able to have at least a few chickens.

If you want the ordinance changed, make sure to come to the meeting on June 26th, or contact the city council members on the committee, especially councilman O'Donnell.
I'm scheduled to work that day, but will do my best to send my better half. I thought it went pretty well last week and was encouraged by everyone's thoughts and ideas.... must say the outspoken women against are certainly passionate.

Councilman O'Donnell huh? Sounds great!!

Jane

Councilman O'Donnell huh? Sounds great!!

Jane

Yes. At the last environmental committee meeting, during Larry Rich's presentation to the committee, Councilman O'Donnell was off to the side engaged in a coversation, rather than listening from his council seat. Just prior to the public input at the end, O'Donnell left the city council chambers.

Last edited:
I will be there! We had to miss the meeting because of last week of school festivities, but my friend went and did said that the two women against were very outspoken and the more support we rally, the better. I have three (two Buff Orpingtons and a Barred Plymouth Rock that we are "fostering") right now, but I'm already w/in the ridiculous setback. If it works out in our favor, my friend would like to have her chickens back and we would then be starting new with new chicks. I would really like a small goat, but I'm curious to know how noisy it/ they would be. I can't imagine it could be worse than the 6 or so dogs that surround us on all sides. My (very nice) neighbor's chihuahua, in particular, is pretty yappy.

Question for anyone in the Long Beach area... where do you get your feed & layer pellets?
We were going to Blacksmith's Corner for both. We just picked up a 50lb bag of organic scratch at Anaheim Feed for $26, which didn't seem bad but they only had layer pellets in tiny bags and I was told to mix the scratch and the pellets 1/2 & 1/2.
If you wouldn't mind, would you guys post what and how much you feed your hens, and where you get it from?
The chickens seems to eat the scratch and leave the pellets. We've only had them for a couple months now. They also get vegetables and vegetal table scraps and noodles sometimes. We toss in some dried mealworms as a little treat too.

Question for anyone in the Long Beach area... where do you get your feed & layer pellets?
We were going to Blacksmith's Corner for both. We just picked up a 50lb bag of organic scratch at Anaheim Feed for $26, which didn't seem bad but they only had layer pellets in tiny bags and I was told to mix the scratch and the pellets 1/2 & 1/2.
If you wouldn't mind, would you guys post what and how much you feed your hens, and where you get it from?
The chickens seems to eat the scratch and leave the pellets. We've only had them for a couple months now. They also get vegetables and vegetal table scraps and noodles sometimes. We toss in some dried mealworms as a little treat too.
I am glad that you said you were able to get Organic pellets at Anaheim Feed. I used to ask them, for the last 3 1/2 years, every time I went in there, if they have started carrying organic chicken feed yet. I go in there often since it is on my way to my mom's house. I haven't asked in about 3 months. I guess it is time to check again.

I have bought organic feed at a variety of places within about a 1/2 hour drive. Here are the prices I recall I have paid.
  • Kruse's Feed in La Habra: Modesto Milling brand, regular organic and soy free organic. They carry organic scratch, starter grower crumbles, and layer pellets. It is $29 for #50 and $32 for the same size in the soy free. This is an exceptionally nice feed store with stellar customer service.
  • Midway City Feed near Westminster: O.H.Kruse brand in starter grower crumbles $28 for 50# Organic Pride (a purina brand) in the layer pellets. I don't know the price on the Organic Pride since I don't use it. No other organic products there that I know of. When I need lots of other supplies, like bedding, this is my one stop shop.
  • Lomita Feed also carries O.H. Kruse, but I am sorry, I can't recall if it was $32 or $37 for 50#
  • Leach's Grain and Milling in Downey. Although they don't mill their own line of organic products, they are a supply mill of other things for Western Milling and O.H.Kruse. A Kruse truck is at Leach's every Wednesday. Leach will special order the O.H.Kruse organic feed and any of the organic products sold under the O.H.Kruse label. I call in my order on Friday, and it is in 5 days later on Wednesday. Leach's is a working mill, not a feed store, so don't plan to get your other chicken supply stuff there.

For any of the supplies that aren't organic that you use with your chickens, like grit or bedding, try Bellflower Feed on a little street called Artesia Place (not Artesia Blvd.), it is off Woodruff, just before the 91 frwy. They have good prices on everything and no chickens or birds on site like at Blacksmith's corner. I stop in here on my way home from Leach's Grain and Milling.

Last edited:
Leanne,

Thanks for the tip on Kruses Feed! Do your girls eat pellets? I want to switch mine to the soy free but not sure how they will handle going from the crumbles to the pellets.

Sue

Hi Sue,

I actually give all my chickens starter grower crumbles and have oyster shell free choice. Because we always have at least a few chicks around under 16 weeks mixed into the flock, it just seemed like the best choice for us. I tried layer pellets once, but my bantams didn't like it and went on a hunger strike. I ended up putting the 25+lbs, in many batches of course, through my kitchen blender and turned it into homemade crumbles. It seems crumbles keep them busy/ less bored because it takes more time to eat.

Where do you prefer to get feed and for how much?

Leanne

Back
Top Bottom