I Hate Mites!!!

I am dipping them in a diluted tub. Some of them I soak in a tub of regular water first. I'm drowning the pests while I scrub and ruffle their feathers under water. Then I submerge them for a few minutes in the PP solution. Then they go under the heat lamp and dryer for a few hours.

Hundreds of dead fleas and mites are floating in the water when I'm done.

Last edited:
Yay Chicks! :

Is Poultry Protector something you use after you discover mites, or does it act as a preventative as well? How did you first discover the mites, if I might ask?

Both. It is used to get rid of them and then sprayed after to keep them away. I believe it was BrattishTaz that suggested it first, as I did not want to use anything toxic/chemical. Most people on here suggested Sevin dust, but that is a pesticide and you need to toss eggs after treatment. I wanted a natural solution. I think it requires more work, but I'm ok with that.

I discovered them when I saw some crawling on my hand after handling my birds. Then I started parting the feathers on the necks and above thhe tail feathers and saw lots of creepy crawlies.​

Sorry but what is DE? and where can I buy the PP? Also I don;t see anything on my chickens but I assume it is normal for them to have something right? So I should go ahead and treat them? Honestly, I have not learned how to pick up a full grown chicken. They run to me during feeding time but I really don't think they are going to let me pick them up. So how do I do this? LOL Thank you

Quote:
DE is diatamatious earth. It is ground up partlicles, I think, of shells. It is a powder that the pests cannot walk through. It cuts them up and kills them, but is so fine it does not hurt humans or the chickens. You must get food grade. It can be sprinkled on the birds, in their coop and especially the dust bath area, so they get it all through their feathers.

I have to order the Poultry Protector online. I get it in 33.9oz diluted bottle. It runs me about $26 a bottle. I'm sure you can get it at Tractor Supply or something. It is basically potassium sorbate (???) Water, yeast and citrus. As natural as you can get.

Id say that pretty much all poultry flocks are going to get mites and fleas at some time. They are easy to miss if you don't handle your chickens. I have held most of mine since birth, so they are used to it. Most of them also squat for me, as I am their "rooster" so it is easy to catch them. I would bet your chickens have at least some pests, and if let be, they multiply worse than rabbits. Since it is all natural, I would treat them if you can, as they are most likely infested to some degree.

I thought I kept my production squeeky clean and I still have them, so id guess yours do too.

Be very careful with the DE and do your research before using it. Breathing it into your lungs apparently is BAD so you're supposed to be very careful when handling it (masks, etc.). There seems to be some disagreement over whether it actually helps with the bugs - but you'll need to decide for yourself. There does seem to be agreement though that it helps to keep things like bedding drier.

Quote:
DE (make sure it is Food Grade as other types are harmful) is a good preventative but not so great for treatment of infestations. It also helps with odor and flies. I use it in my coop and run. I use Manna Pro Poultry Protector on the birds and have had excellent results clearing up a lice problem. I purchase both at my local feed store.

Eventually you will have to get used to picking up chickens. Reach down with both hands and place over the wings firmly. Pick the bird up and bring it against your chest. One arm should run the length of the bird with the hand of that arm even with the bird's head. The legs should hang so it does not have leverage to push away from you. You can use the other hand to secure the chicken from the top, that arm will be free once the bird stops struggling. Sometimes a scratch on the head will calm the it down. My description sounds a bit complicated but in the end you will be holding the chicken like a football.

This is my DD holding our roo. If her right hand was a little higher, that arm would control the chicken. Her left arm would be free.
76073_img_9041.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
DE (make sure it is Food Grade as other types are harmful) is a good preventative but not so great for treatment of infestations. It also helps with odor and flies. I use it in my coop and run. I use Manna Pro Poultry Protector on the birds and have had excellent results clearing up a lice problem. I purchase both at my local feed store.

Eventually you will have to get used to picking up chickens. Reach down with both hands and place over the wings firmly. Pick the bird up and bring it against your chest. One arm should run the length of the bird with the hand of that arm even with the bird's head. The legs should hang so it does not have leverage to push away from you. You can use the other hand to secure the chicken from the top, that arm will be free once the bird stops struggling. Sometimes a scratch on the head will calm the it down. My description sounds a bit complicated but in the end you will be holding the chicken like a football.

This is my DD holding our roo. If her right hand was a little higher, that arm would control the chicken. Her left arm would be free.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/76073_img_9041.jpg

Oh wow thank you. I will try it. When you pick them up will they stratch with thier feet?

I found a bug today on one of my girls...I am sure there are more where that one came from. Just wondering how yours are now. Did you have to follow up with another bath?

Back
Top Bottom