I hate my rooster!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Navi723, Dec 22, 2011.

1. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Roosters that protect their girls without challenging their human caretakers do exist. I have one (or he wouldn't be around... I also have young children so the shenanigans you describe are not acceptable to me). So, I vote that you don't put up with a lousy rooster. There are surely good ones looking for homes that would happily take his place.

ETA: and we had no "poopyhead stage" here... I didn't train for his behavior, it's just how he is.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  2. GoChick

GoChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2010
    Children first! I don't have young children, so I took the time to tame my rooster. He was quite aggressive, so I would catch him and pin him to the ground, or whenever I'd go in the run I'd follow him around, making him quite uncomfortable. I would also feed treats to the hens first, not letting him have any before they all got some. Then I'd let him have treats, but only from my hand. If he pecked my hand, which he did, no more treats. He learned that if he wanted treats, he'd have to be nice to me.

Now, I can feed him one seed at a time, and he is very careful to get the seed, without touching my fingers.

But in your case, with young children, your first priority is to make sure hey don't get hurt.

3. GhostRider65

GhostRider65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:My Little BO hen is the sweetest thing ever. her brothers thou........ argg 4 of them all went in the stew pot they turned into naughty mean little roosters by 20 weeks and I butchered them.......... did your BO come from Cackle or Purely Poultry by chance, that's where I got mine, and maybe there rooster is mean, they breed for quantity not quality at hatcheries so mean roosters might be because they don't care as long as the hens get fertilized eggs.

4. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    Life is too short for a mean roo. We eat the mean ones and keep the sweet ones. Which is why I only have Wyandotte Roos, Never have had a mean one.

5. Navi723

Navi723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Bethany, Oklahoma
    I bought all of my chickens as chicks from McMurray. The hens are wonderful and I'd buy from McMurray again. We may try a different breed for a roo come spring. I think I've got the hubby convinced the roo needs to go. He doesn't want to eat him though, which is funny. The rest of the roos are in the freezer, so why hubby is squeamish about this one I don't know.

Thanks everyone for your support. You make me feel less like a wimpy crazy lady. [​IMG]

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j True BYC Addict

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Are you wanting fertile eggs to hatch? If not, why have a rooster at all? Hens CAN and do manage without them. They do figure out how to run & hide if a predator is near, and they are perfectly capable of finding their own food. I wouldn't put up with him.

7. Navi723

Jun 13, 2011
    Bethany, Oklahoma
    Quote:Well, that was the plan, but I'm okay with purchasing my chicks or hatching eggs. I understand a hen can take over the roo role, but surely it can't be as bad as what he's doing, or as potentially maiming.

8. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I wouldn't want to hatch a mean roo's offspring, either... They might inherit his mean streak.

9. Navi723

Jun 13, 2011
    Bethany, Oklahoma
    Quote:True. I hadn't thought of that. Good point.

10. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Soup is good food. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by