I hate my rooster!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Navi723, Dec 22, 2011.

1. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Quote:And the caption is, "Oh my God, she's got that 'handy little grabber thing' again."-

As always one of 'your' pictures is worth a thousand words.

2. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    [​IMG] I was thinking the same thing.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:And the caption is, "Oh my God, she's got that 'handy little grabber thing' again."-

As always one of 'your' pictures is worth a thousand words.

Now all we need is for some clever person to animate the business end of that grabber!

Mwaaahaaaahaaaaahaaaahaaaaaaaa

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

5. loot4louie

loot4louie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Ringoes NJ
    Soup pot. Then get a new one. Nice roo's do exist!

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    All of my boys are now good boys. I have had some that tried to test me. I had one young boy that kind of attacked me from behind but wasn't anything serious. I think he was just testing me. I gave him a boot clear across my yard with the side of my foot and he went ass over applecart across the yard. A couple of days later he tried it again so I booted him again. After that he hasn't tried it again. If you chase them with a broom then they will be afraid of the broom and not you so the broom becomes the alpha not you. Also if you can pick the rooster up and take hold his comb and pull his head down until it touches his chest. Do not let his head up until he relaxes then let his head come back up and repeat and as long as he is resistant with his head down in his chest just hold it there until he quits resisting. Do this until you can put his head down without him resisting. This shows him that you are the alpha. I have had a lot of roosters and it works. Also if the Roo does this to another member of the family the process has to be repeated until he recognizes that person too as an alpha. This has worked for me and my birds. All of my boys are now real gentlemen.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  7. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I really feel for you. I can't imagine putting up with that. Bob is one rooster I guess I've just blessed to have. He takes care on the girls but has never acted anyway but respectful toward me. I mean nothing toward aggresion. Even when I picked up the runny butt to clean her up, with her hollering he ran up to me, then backed off and walked away. To me just a gentleman rooster. I'm boss and he has no doubt that is so. [​IMG]

Do like to eat chicken?

8. WalkingHorse

WalkingHorse Out Of The Brooder

Quote:I could have written this post last week with an adendum that my sorry arse rooster was a no-show in the protecting from hawks department. Rehomed him and now peace reigns on the farm. Chickie zen rules, roosters drool. [​IMG]

9. Navi723

Navi723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Bethany, Oklahoma
    Quote:Yes! I agree! LOL Solomon is only 6 months old, so I know he's in the adolescent poopie-head stage, but I just want to kick him across the pen. I always go in with a big stick, and he does go after that, but I don't dare go without it. Frankly I don't care if I have a rooster, but if we do get another one, I think it'll be as a chick and we'll do some more intensive "I'm the boss" routines. And yes, all 13 of the cockerels were monsters. The other 12 were in smaller runs awaiting their fates, and they fought each other a lot, so that probably had a lot to do with that. They'd attack (and drew blood) any time I'd try to change out their feeders and waterers. I ended up keeping the water hose with me to spray them down.

He scares the crap out of me. I don't want to get my hands near him. Stupid bird. He's holding my sweet fluffy butts hostage. [​IMG]

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Time for him to disappear. Your chickens are for fun and relaxtion - not added stress.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by