I !HATE! the egg carton hatching method!!! I think i am gonna cry :'(

I used that holey shelf liner stuff for my first batch I ever incubated.
I had 15 of 18 eggs hatch with no problems. 2 of the eggs never developed, so I kind of think that I had 15 out of 16 hatch. :eek:)
I now have 15 10 day old chicks running around.

Lynn

its not going well for me either..i had one pip on the wrong end and die recently also.
hugs.gif

Sorry it happens but I've had luck with those than the ones that being banged around. However you can try again without those egg holes but use the lid bottom for that purpose if you choose to do so.

Last edited:
Talking about things going wrong....it was my first time using an incubator...I put about 12 chicken eggs in it...nothing hatched...I tried again...I had 14 turkey eggs, and some guinea and chicken eggs in there....again nothing survived...come to find out, my thermometer was marking incorrectly and I was cooking the poor things!!!! (I had bought another incubator, and a thermometer came with it and I also bought a therm/hygrometer) I put all the thermometers in the old incubator and they marked 110!!!!!!!
hit.gif

So, now, in the new incubator, I have mallard duck eggs and some more guinea eggs. Wish me luck!!!!

I am very sorry to hear of your loss!!!

hu.gif
This is all so confusing. I hatched the "regular" way last month - about a third of them didn't hatch and those little chicks kept rolling the pips over face down.
smack.gif
I was a horrible wreck the entire hatch. We did have to help a few out. This time, we're trying the egg carton method. I read and researched as much as I could, and heard so many wonderful comments.
big_smile.png
I heard the hatch rate was usually better - and I figured, I'd like a hatch rate better than 66%. This is the beginning of day 19 - they are already in the cartons - but boy, y'all can make someone nervous.
barnie.gif

I put all the thermometers in the old incubator and they marked 110!!!!!!!

Dang...that hurts! But I'm glad you found out and corrected the problem. I won't be long before you're here bragging on your little fuzzy butts!...and everything else you're hatching!
tongue.png

Quote:
You know, you can put them on their sides in egg cartons?

I had one with a leg issue last time but he's fine now.

I love the egg carton hatching method because once they pop the top off they usually do their first poopy in the bottom of the shell and it makes cleanup a breeze!

ETA: at the very moment I was originally typing this post, one of my eggs (on Day 19 no less) was pipping and 20 minutes later it was zipped. with a little bit of poop in the bottom shell.
smile.png

Last edited:
I'vegotchickenfever :

hu.gif
This is all so confusing. I hatched the "regular" way last month - about a third of them didn't hatch and those little chicks kept rolling the pips over face down.
smack.gif
I was a horrible wreck the entire hatch. We did have to help a few out. This time, we're trying the egg carton method. I read and researched as much as I could, and heard so many wonderful comments.
big_smile.png
I heard the hatch rate was usually better - and I figured, I'd like a hatch rate better than 66%. This is the beginning of day 19 - they are already in the cartons - but boy, y'all can make someone nervous.
barnie.gif

Don't forget, shipped egg hatch rates will vary to..if that is in fact what you are hatching.. They may grow all the way and die at the end if they had been damage internally. Many factors in incubating and one cant always blame one self for the eggs not hatching, some things when purchasing hatching eggs are out of our control.

Best of luck to all, no matter which way you choose to incubate and hatch..

~Wilds~​

Back
Top Bottom