I hate this polar vortex!

45B6623B-E7B9-41B4-B769-D5EB8AE6C449.jpeg
F54A434F-572D-47D1-B873-6714674C3F4B.jpeg
5ECE33B7-3693-4A1B-9B37-5F88F5D32174.jpeg
21EF1AE5-AF8E-491A-B961-67FA9EF71C7F.jpeg
10BFAF21-0050-4FDC-95E8-34AB8F83145F.jpeg
72E4E3A1-6AE7-4993-962C-A5CC20FF1F94.jpeg
Thanks so much! For electrical reasons, i was choosing between a heat lamp or my water de-icer, and chose the de-icer because i ruled that there is no fire danger. However with something like a heat panel, i dont have to worry as much. Or i could just get a splitter for my extension cord and hook up a lamp:p i didnt think that through. Would definitely be cheaper... maybe in the future i can get a fancy panel

Eta: do you have pictures of your coop ventilation?
Here are the pictures. Let me know if you have any questions :D

So I don’t know if I should post this here or the other thread titled frostbite. Let me if it needs to be moved.
C96886F9-1F27-425B-9DCF-5473CBD67A05.jpeg
DAA6BC5D-D50A-476C-8356-14F85A1DC448.jpeg
Since we are talking about how cold it is and all, my guy got a scrap on his web and I have been putting neosporine on it, just a light coat. I really have no clue when it comes to this cold and ducks and what frostbite looks like...does his webs look ok or should I be concerned?

I had a really nice shop vac, but I lent it out and maybe you know how that story goes. I'm kicking it old school, which builds character and badassery and gives me all kinds of "ain't nothing I can't do" points. It involves a scraper, a bucket, a broom for scrubbing, vinegar ( because some cleaning chemical would make things unpleasant for them), and a mop for sopping stuff up. Anyway, I have a lot of character. It's hard work, but worth the less worry.
I totally understand, thats what i was doing and still do when at times. I have a sponge mop that i use on the grey foam stuff i use for their floor with pinesol and i have a huge putty knife and small broom dustpan for scraping up the dried stuff. Ive gotten that i can have the whole place clean and ready for another bout of poo in less then an hour. I love my shop vacs though they pick up stuff i miss when sweeping or mopping

So I don’t know if I should post this here or the other thread titled frostbite. Let me if it needs to be moved.View attachment 1226038 View attachment 1226039 Since we are talking about how cold it is and all, my guy got a scrap on his web and I have been putting neosporine on it, just a light coat. I really have no clue when it comes to this cold and ducks and what frostbite looks like...does his webs look ok or should I be concerned?

It doesnt look like anything to be concerned about to me. I know when roosters get frostbite on their combs its turns from bright red to purplish. So i would keep a close eye for any color changes.

Wow i love the Christmas lights! I get the idea now. I have two dollar bill sized holes where the tarp didnt cover on each side at the top so i think theyre fine for now. Here they are last night
IMG_8042.JPG
IMG_8044.JPG
IMG_8045.JPG

I went with the heat lamp because after thinking it over i came to the conclusion that there is a minimal risk of it falling and the extension cord its plugged into is outside of the coop so i feel like the fire risk is small. Cozy isnt it? I almost climbed in and slept there last night.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one worried about these crazy temps in northern Ohio! I have my duck and rabbit outside in a pen, but they're each cooped up in their own cages with a heating pan and heat lamp. I just feel so bad because my duck is getting really crabby about being cooped up. He's huffing and puffing and trying to bite me when I change his food, water and straw out. :( Any ideas on how to cheer him up? Hopefully he makes it through these negative temps!

It’s been unbearable here too I no longer have ducks but I still have chickens and I feel so bad for them I would like to get this off my chest because my human family don’t get it lol. I feel horrible because I get to go in a nice warm home while the have to say outside and face the elements ok now that being said please point to the nearest therapist office Here is dotty in the snow I think last year. I miss them so much. I had to surrender them to ACO after having them for 3 years because of my crazy neighbor they denied that they called I was told by the health department it was them it was a mess both new I had ducks and didn’t care as long no complaints it just came out of the blue still too painful to talk about but those sweet neighbor left me a Christmas card for me on my door :ducI was like really?:he

Attachments

• DD1ADFE1-C2C0-4380-ACD5-24D68DA2A944.jpeg
    DD1ADFE1-C2C0-4380-ACD5-24D68DA2A944.jpeg
    212.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Wow i love the Christmas lights! I get the idea now. I have two dollar bill sized holes where the tarp didnt cover on each side at the top so i think theyre fine for now. Here they are last night
View attachment 1226518View attachment 1226519 View attachment 1226520
I went with the heat lamp because after thinking it over i came to the conclusion that there is a minimal risk of it falling and the extension cord its plugged into is outside of the coop so i feel like the fire risk is small. Cozy isnt it? I almost climbed in and slept there last night.

thanks!!i keep the Christmas lights up year round, it gives a nice glow in the evening!!

It does look cozy! I have all my cords nailed to the rafters. I feel that it is safe too. I just came back in from the nightly routine and covered some my vents.....put down more straw, then put some more straw down.....it is freezing out there!!!

Back
Top Bottom