I hate this polar vortex!

My garage is a disaster, you guys. Nobody went outside today, it was too cold and too windy. Everyone is miserable. I'm really looking forward to Sunday, it's supposed to be in the 40s. It'll feel like a spring day to me. But Saturday is the day everyone can go back outside for good. I'm sure they'll be much happier.

I hate this cold too. 5 degrees windchill in GA.
Feel so bad for all the birds but haven’t got heat for them. Brought the turkey Tom in for a few minutes because he was shivering. Seemed to help his mood. The others won’t come in.
The coop is hardwire half way up so very open. I have curtains over the hardwire but really — how much does that help with the cold.
Wishing all of you up north well and hope you all get through this.

I bought plastic to put around the coops. It helped a lot. I spent less than $10, so worth it. Also insulated the coop with feed bags.
5° wind chill in GEORGIA?! I am reeling. It's almost over though, right? I'm sure all your birds will make it just fine :)

Also wanted to add it’s nice to know others worry as I do. I don’t feel so neurotic.
There’s also the small pond with 3” of ice on it. I have to melt a breathing hole each day for the fish underneath.
Finally I confess I cooked up a pot of rice and lentils with lots of cayenne just for the birds. I go out to de-ice water bowls about 6 Times a day. Guilt is such a powerful motivator.

Fish need breathing holes in the ice?! Uh oh :oops: Im a bad fish mommy

Warning "insecure moment" but.....I think that I will bring my ducks into the garage for tonight and Saturday evening. The garage is heated but i can put it on the lowest setting of 40F. Does anyone think this is a good idea or a bad idea since they have been accumulated to this weather so far?

They both look good this morning but i really don't know how much more I can take knowing that the windchill factor is going to be -25F to -30F tonight. My DH thinks i'm crazy but good grief.......no animal show have to stay out in these temps.....worried to death I am!!!

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one worried about these crazy temps in northern Ohio! I have my duck and rabbit outside in a pen, but they're each cooped up in their own cages with a heating pan and heat lamp. I just feel so bad because my duck is getting really crabby about being cooped up. He's huffing and puffing and trying to bite me when I change his food, water and straw out. :( Any ideas on how to cheer him up? Hopefully he makes it through these negative temps!
Oh I know they seem so cranky in this lousy weather. They’ve been cooped up for so long...I really wish for a warm up so they can at least go outside for a bit. I’ve been giving them copious amounts of peas and mealworms. They at least seem happy to see me.

Temps will be in the 30s and 40s next week in Geauga County, so hopefully they’ll get a respite then.

Warning "insecure moment" but.....I think that I will bring my ducks into the garage for tonight and Saturday evening. The garage is heated but i can put it on the lowest setting of 40F. Does anyone think this is a good idea or a bad idea since they have been accumulated to this weather so far?

They both look good this morning but i really don't know how much more I can take knowing that the windchill factor is going to be -25F to -30F tonight. My DH thinks i'm crazy but good grief.......no animal show have to stay out in these temps.....worried to death I am!!!
I don’t think that’s a bad idea at all. This weekend weather is going to be especially bitter. I can’t help but think this cold is stressing them out. That’s not healthy either.

I wouldn’t have the heat too high though. 40 seems reasonable.

I don’t think that’s a bad idea at all. This weekend weather is going to be especially bitter. I can’t help but think this cold is stressing them out. That’s not healthy either.

I wouldn’t have the heat too high though. 40 seems reasonable.
Thank you! speaking of stress, my hen didn't lay an egg last night/early morning today...it must just be too cold:confused:

Back
Top Bottom