I hate this time of year, not talking about the holidays

I don't like this time of the year either. I can't enjoy my animals like I want to. The chickens are going in to roost as I'm getting home. I get home about 5:05 PM and the chickens are making their final round around the chicken yard and looking for their spot on the roost before calling it a night.
sad.png

I try to get up EARLY on the weekends (6AM) so that I can piddle around in the yard and spend all day long with my animals. I pull up a chair and just watch them run around. It's so refreshing.
smile.png

Well I don't think you guys would consider our weather cold right now but it's cold enough for me. My poor dog has to wear clothes to work & I'm bundled up for sure. Luckily, all my birds live inside so their daylight is the same & I get to spend time with them.

Hi! This cold is miserable! I feel bad for folks who have to deal with it for the whole winter.
The last couple of days, I've worn long johns, 3 sweat shirts, double pants, 2 stocking caps, and gloves --- and was still cold while doing chores.
I'm looking forward to warmer and longer days.
smile.png

Lisa

Me too- counting the days til they get longer. Weather man says in the teens tonite and a snow storm coming our way for the weekend. The heated water dishes for the ducks and chickens are good, and so is the floating heater in the duckie pool. It's warmer in the pool than outside of it, so the ducks do a lot of swimming. Everyone seems bummed, though- too much dark and everyone's cold and bored. Chickens spend most of the time inside - they don't like the cold weather at all.

Started making the ducks go in the coop at night cause I worry about the cold (single digits or below) and extra hungry varmints. Ducks are in the groove now....I bring the broom out to help shoo them in the right direction and off they go - up the ramp into the coop (it's cute). But the white calls pick on the baby, so I separated them from the black call and the baby (this year's hatch, I'm guessing) while they're in the coop. The white calls are sooooo snobby
tongue.gif
They just think they're "all that".

I figure that all will be ok in the spring, when Davey (white drake) decides to make Dolly (the baby) one of the women. Wish he'd get it over with so everyone would be one big, happy family!

And I get upset when the temps get in the 30's. That is freezing weather for us. When we have those freezing nights, I build a nice warm fire for the animals. The chickens can feel the warm fire from their chicken houses. The ducks and geese like to get as close as they can to the fire. Here is a pic of some of the many fires that we build.

6612_fire.jpg

6612_fire1.jpg

Okay, on the bright side. I went out to do chores last night and it was really beautiful...the snow was all sparkly where the yard light reached, the woods were silent, and it was lovely listening to the horses munch hay. There were no mosquitoes and no humidity. So it's not all bad.
wink.png

We are in Florida and I am so sick of this cold weather already.... It's been below freezing every night this week. I had to break ice out of water buckets the past few mornings, the dogs and cats come in because of the cold which sets of my husband's and son's allergies so they have to be medicated, I had a hen decide to hatch out 8 babies so made a special pen for her and the chicks with a heat lamp and have been doting on them. I really, really hate the cold
barnie.gif
supposed to go back down to 19 Monday night....

Back
Top Bottom