I hate weevals/meal worms!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by tazcat70, Oct 13, 2009.

1. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

How do you stop them?

What do you do?

Thanks!

2. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Tupperware.

Freeze all flour, sugar, grains for at least 3 days before you put them in the EMPTY containers to begin with. Make sure it's bug proof, hence the tupperware.

I also use Mint oil spray in my cabinets to reduce any critters

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Feed them to your chickens? [​IMG]

I second the tupperware (or similar). Any tight-closing container should keep them out. I was under the impression that sugar needed to be kept frozen if you did freeze it? Is that not right? I bought a big bag a month or so ago, and was going to store it in the deep freeze, but my dad said it would have to stay in there, and just use it from the freezer?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  4. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Never had a problem with freezing sugar [​IMG]

We had an infestation hit us in our last apartment, we dumped out most of the pantry and froze everything that came in that could possibly be attacked by weevils before we bought it. Took almost 2 months to get rid of them. If you have a really bad infestation freeze flour etc, pour it into the canister and put it back in the freezer until you get the problem under control.
    It's a royal pain in the butt but it helps.

ETA.... Wait, I can see why he would say that about the sugar. I put mine directly into an air tight container as soon as I take it out of the freezer. If you leave it sitting out ion the counter in the bag condensation will form and wet the sugar. I do have a bit of a thin 'crust' on the sugar but it breaks back up easily.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    No, we have an air-tight container, it's probably just the crust he's thinking about. One of these days I'll learn not to listen to him [​IMG]

6. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    My mom used bay leaves.

7. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    I use bay leaves also..works very well!!!

8. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I don't seem to have a problem with them in the sugar, we go through it too fast. But the flour is the problem, and jiffy corn bread mix, etc.

I have put them all in the freezer. Will zip lock bags work for the storage containers when out? How long can you store them in the freezer without problems? (Our local store had them on sale this week and I stocked up)

For those that use a bay leaf, how does that work? You just put a bay leaf in the container?

9. peeplessinNC

peeplessinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    NC Piedmont
    Yes, just put the bay leaf in the container. Or, if it is something you use a lot, tape the bay leaf to the lid of the container. Then you don't have to fish around it while scooping out what is stored in the container. Don't cover up the bay leaf entirely - just a thin strip of tape across the middle or on one end.

10. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    It is hard to get rid of them when you have them. Bay leaves help.

Freezing helps. But you have to watch for the moths and larvae and kill them. They will cocoon everywhere.

Worst case, you may have to bug bomb. I did not want to, but they were everywhere.

Problem is also that they lay eggs in the food we purchase (whhile in the factory) and if we keep that food too long, they hatch.

Ziplock bags will not keep them out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by