I have 11, 3 week old buff orps that are supposed to be pullets but...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenlover95, May 19, 2009.

1. chickenlover95

chickenlover95 New Egg

May 19, 2009
    Hi, I am new to chickens but, I was reading online that sometimes chicks that feather out late are cockerls. I have 11 buff orpingtons that are 3 weeks old and all except for one are almost completly feathered out. I was wondering if that on could be a cockerel. I ordered them from healthy chicks and more. I ordered all pullets but I am afraid that I might have gotten a cockerel. Please let me know what you think.

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

picture?

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Post pics. We can help you out.
    ETA: If you don't know how to post pics, feel free to PM me and I'll help you out.

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My BO feathered out quickly & was much, much bigger than her brooder mate, an australorp. If the temp of their brooder has been a bit low, they'll feather out a bit faster, too.

Patience, grasshopper...

5. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    One out of 11 isn't so bad. How about 1 in 3!!! Now That is hugely disappointing!!!! This year I ordered through my local feed store(like I did last year) and out of the 19 chicks I ordered 2 are confirmed roos and one more is suspect. One of my orders was for 3 SS pullets, and one of them turned out to be a roo. [​IMG] I'll keep them for now, but the future is less certain for the roos vs. the pullets.

6. chickenlover95

chickenlover95 New Egg

May 19, 2009
    Hi, everyone that replied. Sorry I have been lazy and haven't been checking the forums!! I still think there is a cockerel but, I will keep him anyway. He is so sweet. I only have 6 chicks now though:hit. When I put them outside, in there "big girl pen" as I called it, a racoon ate 5 of my babies. I have modified the pen and I have been left with 6 happy healthy chicks for about 2 weeks now!! thanks for all the replies![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by