I have 2 questions. Please someone answer.

Barbeque

Songster
9 Years
May 4, 2010
Danville
1. My mom said she took care of my birds Sunday night for me. They have a small feeder and waterer that needs to be changed daily. I am pretty sure I changed it yesterday, but it was bone dry when I went and checked on them. So I got them fresh, clean water, and they all ran towards it and drank for a couple minutes while I got food. They seemed really thirsty. Is it that they drank it really quickly? Do I need to go ahead and get a bigger waterer and feeder( they run out of that quick to)
2. When can I put them in their coop outside? There is a one inch gap or so off the ground, and the guy said snakes could get in. They are like, 6 weeks old I think, but all but one are bantams. The other is a top hat or whatever. Oh and I think I have a silkie!
big_smile.png

But yeahh;
yippiechickie.gif

Your birds need to have access to water at all times. If the waterer is too small to provide them a daily supply, you can either get a bigger one or replenish it several times a day. Sometimes a waterer will leak if it's not placed completely level, so that might have been the reason why it was empty. If the bedding around it was wet, that's what probably happened.

Cover the gap in your coop so you don't have the risk of snakes, rats or mice getting in. You can use hardware cloth or even a board, nailed down well. When chicks can go into a coop (without supplemental heat at night) depends on your climate.

Chickens and other livestock should always have water at all times. If you are running out of water then you need a bigger or better waterer. You can get an automatic waterer that you attach to a garden hose when you put them outside. As a rule, if your chicks are pretty much feathered out, you can put them outside as long as you don't live somewhere cold and the pen provides them cover from wind, rain and too much sun. To start, put them out in the day, and take them in at night. Give them some time to adjust to the outdoors.

What size is your waterer righ now? I have three chickens and have a gallon waterer. I use a trough style feeder which I fill daily.

If you have an inch gap around your coop, snakes can get in. You should wait until the chicks are a little bigger before letting them out, and maybe do something about the gap.

Quote:
I'm not sure, I think it's a quart? Maybe not;
I'm gonna get some bigger ones tonight.
Where can I find the ones that have a place on the top to attach to a hook? Cause the guy put two hooks in it, and said to get a waterer and feeder with loops on the top to hook it?

Back
Top Bottom