I have 3wk old Barred Rocks-what are tell-tale early signs of a roo?

Thanks, guys!

I have studied and looked at all of my chicks - and nothing! I'm a chicken IDIOT! They all look very different to me - I'll probably have to wait until somebody crows (or doesn't!). I can't wait to find out. If this friendly little chick stays friendly - he can lvie with me for his whole life - roo or not!

My BRs turned out to ALL be Roos. They started to get wattles very young (4-5 weeks) and their combs and wattles were very red. Unfortunately, since I had no pullets, I don't have anything to compare with! The pictures I saw of BR hens show them having pretty large and very red wattles and combs too. There was a very good post in the Gender section that talked about the difference in pointed vs. round feathers in roos and hens - that's what finally convinced me that all mine were cockerels - and 5 days later the first proved it with his first crow. But they have to be a few months old before you can use the feather method.

Quote:
all of my pullets are starting to get wattles (they're just a little over 4 weeks) except the PPRs, but the cockerel's wattles started developing at just 2 weeks and his are nearly red as opposed to the girls' pale pink, almost white ones.

Here are our 3wk old BR's. I think one is a roo. It has a fatter head, and slightly bigger body. they were both the same size when we got them at a week old. But we will see. I need to get some of those leg bands to figure out which birdie is which. Anyone know where I can get those?

Anyways here is Clara and Maggie:

br3wks11.jpg

both gals, with Maggie (possible roo) up front:
br3wksboth.jpg

Maggie's close up for the day:
br3wkscloseup.jpg

Back
Top Bottom