I have 3wk old Barred Rocks-what are tell-tale early signs of a roo?

Kelly G

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Tampa (Wesley Chapel), Florida
My Coop
My Coop
I bought what I was told were six pullets from my local feed store (came from Ideal). I understand that sexing chicks at one day old isn't 100% - not a problem.

My question is what will be my early tell-tale signs of a rooster in the works? I have one chick that seems very bold - it's always the first to greet me, the first to eat from my hand, the first to jump on my shoulder, etc. This chick is also the largest (and they all started the same size).

I didn't want a rooster, but if this one turns out to be a roo - he has a home forever!

Thanks, guys!

The Partridge Rock we have just never stopped talking. I swear he would be making noise in his sleep. It was that constant. At 4 weeks he had a more pronounced comb than my girls(no other Rocks)
He is really beautifully feathered. Nice coloring. And is friendly. But sadly we just cant have a roo here.

Our BR roo, Little Ralphie (who isn't so little anymore!) acted just like yours, but we also have a hen (Big Bertha) who is also very outgoing. Hard to tell at just 3 weeks - give them a couple more weeks and you'll be able to tell.

They are wonderful birds - good luck!!!

Ok, we also have 3 wk old BR's , and have never had anything younger than 12wk pullets. So how can you tell in the next few weeks, who is a roo and who isnt?
What specific things should I be looking for? Fatter legs? Pointy feathers? Larger combs?

I just don't want to be caught again with another pullet turned roo, and have my heart broken cuz we have to give her/him away.
If we can figure out early enough, maybe I won't become so attached.

Thanks,
~CAran

Rhett&SarahsMom :

The Partridge Rock we have just never stopped talking. I swear he would be making noise in his sleep. It was that constant. At 4 weeks he had a more pronounced comb than my girls(no other Rocks)
He is really beautifully feathered. Nice coloring. And is friendly. But sadly we just cant have a roo here.

I wish I lived closer, I would take that rooster for you! I specifically ordered a PR rooster for my flock, but MPC said they didn't hatch out enough of this breed, so of the 4 I ordered, I got 1! I called and left a message and asked if it was at least a rooster and noone called me back. He/she looks the same as all the other 1 mo. old pullets, so I don't think its a rooster.
sad.png
I had really wanted one for breeding into my flock. Now, I don't want to place an order for one rooster and don't have enough space for anymore girls, so I would have to order just the one chick....too expensive. Noone around here has PR chickens. I think they are just the most pretty roosters!​

I could tell my BR cockerels pretty early on due to how they stood (upright and just big!) and they seemed to have more white in their feathers and the pullets seemed to have more black in their feathers. The cockerels legs were also more yellow and the pullets had more black on theirs. I sure do hope that I made some sense in trying to explain this!
lol.png

One of the three 8-week-old BRs I gave away today was whiter, more aggressive, louder and had a slightly redder comb and slightly larger (and redder) wattles than the other two. The body profile wasn't significantly different and s/he had the same black-fronted legs when we brought them home. I don't know for sure that this was a roo but I sure have my suspicions!

behaviour is not a good way to peg gender, especially this young.

indications that your BR chick might be a roo:

* lighter overall colouration; dark part is medium to light grey instead of black, barring may be more widespread
* a large, well-defined yellow spot on the top of the head (pullets have the spot, but they tend to be less well-defined around the edges)
* lack of a black wash over the front of the legs
* not feathering as quickly as the other chicks; pin feathers or fluff where other chicks are getting proper feathers
* a significantly larger comb than the other chicks and pink or red colouration thereon
* early development of wattles also with pink or red colouration

my BRs are all pullets (i believe), but one of my RIRs was clearly and undoubtedly a cockerel at only two weeks. here are a couple of (poor) pictures of bob:

bobandrocks.jpg

you can see how much more developed his comb is here and if you look closely, you can see his little pink wattles

bob.jpg

a closer picture of his comb and the pinkness of it. you can also see his scanty body feathering as opposed to miss peanut below:

peanutagain.jpg

peanut is quite feathery here (and, man! it's creepy to look at these pictures taken only three or four days ago and realize that they're woefully out of date already!)

i wouldn agree alot with ravenfeathers but just incase i'm going to list what/how i can tell...

1. My BR(bantam size) roo was lighter and the pullet was darker.

2. My pullet had longer wings then the roo.their both short but one will be longer.

3. Then they both will start to get a comb but his will devlope better/sooner.

4.i held them upside down and if they peck at ur feet its a roo but if its a pullet it will just chill out.

5.I held my hand above them and she raced in circles but he went all oiver the pplace.

6.also as time went on he strutted around like a roo. if u still can't tell at 8 weeks they will/or won;t b ecrowing!

My little boy is lighter in color, he is more gray instead of black. His comb is larger and pinkish-red you can see his little wattles they are pinkish-red too. He is only 5 weeks old. He is so handsome tho but he is a little bugger too. Wants to be aggressive already. Little stink pot. LOL

Back
Top Bottom