Chicks, chicks, chicks!

gimmie birdies

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Feb 12, 2013
Eastern WA
When you are setting eggs set more than you need. Since some will hatch out roosters.

The same for buying chicks. Buy more chicks than you need incase some end up being roosters, or die because the feed store chicks eat the wood chips they are brooded on, or die from the stress of shipping.

If I get a mix of chicks, I will always buy 2 of my favorite kinds.

Make sure your lamp is not too hot, and make sure it is secure. Shipped chick need it to be 95 degrees the first day. If you don't have a thermometer, you can tell how hot and cold it is to your chicks by whether they huddle under the light, (too cold) or avoid the light, (too hot.)

Plastic tubs are not ideal, and they grow out of it fast. I use a wood box, (old cabinet) I got for free on side of the road, you can find it on craigslist too.

IMG_5559.JPG

or large cardboard box. A swimming pool is okay, but you have to have wire on top so they don't jump out. I don't use wood chips, I use second hand cloth placemats, when soiled I roll-m up and toss them.
be.PNG

As for chick water-ers I put a pie plate under the water-er so it doesn't spill so much.
Those are just some of my tips.

I like your philosophy. :) Of course that's why I always end up with too many chickens. Chicken math is real.

The cabinet looks like a great idea for brooding. We built a wooden box decades ago and I still use it yearly. It's roughly 3x6 and about 2 foot tall. Used to have a screen door for a lid, but that fell apart about 20 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom