Runny Poo in 6 day old chicks

Shipping stress does take a toll. Warm sugar water and some chicken vitamins usually cures that unless the weather was very cold and chicks on the perimeter got irreversibly chillMy

Shipping stress does take a toll. Warm sugar water and some chicken vitamins usually cures that unless the weather was very cold and chicks on the perimeter got irreversibly chilled.
Let's say that my fiance says that the well could be leaking from the rain and some surface water was getting into the pipes. What from the ground could be contaminating their water that could make them sick..theoretically could it be Coccidia?

Since coccidia are everywhere, that's a possibility. But there's an incubation period of five to seven days from first exposure to onset of symptoms.

If ground water is contaminated, there are all sorts of bacteria that can affect your well water, and it takes very little to make tiny chicks sick and die. Then, if there are any gas and oil drilling operations in your vicinity, they use toxic chemicals in their drilling, and that can leech into the well water, as well. You probably should ask the health department where you can take a water sample to be tested.

Meanwhile, it won't hurt to start the chicks on Corid.

Since coccidia are everywhere, that's a possibility. But there's an incubation period of five to seven days from first exposure to onset of symptoms.

If ground water is contaminated, there are all sorts of bacteria that can affect your well water, and it takes very little to make tiny chicks sick and die. Then, if there are any gas and oil drilling operations in your vicinity, they use toxic chemicals in their drilling, and that can leech into the well water, as well. You probably should ask the health department where you can take a water sample to be tested.

Meanwhile, it won't hurt to start the chicks on Corid.
What kind of feed do you recommend to pair with Corid?

It doesn't matter. But no extra B vitamins must be given during treatment. Corid is a thiamine blocker, what coccidia thrive on.
So I shouldn’t feed country road with it then? Or really any medicated food ? This feed says “should be only source of thiamine”. I also know thiamine deficiency is possible.
It doesn't matter. But no extra B vitamins must be given during treatment. Corid is a thiamine blocker, what coccidia thrive on.
Hot spot under brooder light is 84F furthest point is 60F.

So I shouldn’t feed country road with it then? Or really any medicated food ? This feed says “should be only source of thiamine”. I also know thiamine deficiency is possible.

Hot spot under brooder light is 84F furthest point is 60F.
Medicated feed (in US) contains a low dose of coccidiostat. With Corid you're adding a higher dosage of the same sort of thing. All feeds have some thiamine in it, the goal is to not feed any thiamine over that (i.e. any extra vitamin supplements)

Temps look good, you can also go by chick behavior to ensure they're not too hot (staying far away from the lamp) or cold (huddling tightly under the lamp).

Medicated feed (in US) contains a low dose of coccidiostat. With Corid you're adding a higher dosage of the same sort of thing. All feeds have some thiamine in it, the goal is to not feed any thiamine over that (i.e. any extra vitamin supplements)

Temps look good, you can also go by chick behavior to ensure they're not too hot (staying far away from the lamp) or cold (huddling tightly under the lamp).
They’ll huddle underneath but go freely back to water and food .

Temps are right for the first week. Be sure to raise the lamp the second week and then higher the third week. At the end of the third week, turn off the heat during the day. They will be feathered enough not to need heat during the day, only at night.

Get the water tested. You probably would want to use bottled water for the chicks for the time being to be safe. I kick myself for not remembering that contaminated well water is one of the things to suspect when baby chicks seem to be dying without good reason.

They’ve been switched to bottled water since last night and I went ahead and picked up Corid and a higher caliber of feed :) Purina medicated . Which is compatible with corid in small doses . Hopefully I can reverse some of the damage done

Back
Top Bottom