New babies - color question, age difference

sunshinesnuggles

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2024
NW Washington
I got two little chicks yesterday, a Speckled Sussex who I think is a bit older than two weeks and an Easter Egger who's probably about four days old. My plan was always to have five hens, but between surprise roosters and illness, I ended up losing four of my first six chicks (I got an extra rooster) before they turned two. Two roos, a FTT, and dropsy. I'd been wanting to get more babies, so I finally did it. They're doing okay so far, but I do have some questions.
Firstly, is it possible to tell what color the EE will be?
1000001132.jpg

Her name is Buttercup :) She has a bit of bluish gray on the top, kind of like a light Lavender Orpington except she's mostly cream. She has a black stripe on her back and her wing feathers seem to have a lacing pattern.
My second question: Piper will call out very loudly and insistently when she can't see Buttercup, even if she can hear her, and upon finding her will hop over, peck her on the head, and then they'll move on. I have to handle them both at the same time, otherwise Piper freaks out and eventually Buttercup will as well. Is this just because they're the only two, or is Piper acting like a baby roo? I'm really hoping for both pullets this time. My last baby rooster would also chirp loudly when a chick was missing.
1000001136.jpg

Here's a picture of their setup, let me know if I'm doing anything wrong! I don't want to lose a baby this time, although they seem to be quite healthy so far. The EcoGlow is quite slanted because they're different sizes, so they can pick where they want to be. Piper can jump over the wall, but they're in an unused shower and I always close the door when I'm not around. I'm going to see if I can set up a perch for her soon, she keeps looking at the waterer like she wants to jump on top of it.

Unfortunately it can be so hard to tell at such a young age what they will look like when they grow, but they are so pretty!
When chicks are separated they often will call out to each other. It happens all the time with mine

Unfortunately it can be so hard to tell at such a young age what they will look like when they grow, but they are so pretty!
When chicks are separated they often will call out to each other. It happens all the time with mine
Thanks for your response! I think I'm overreacting, I'm just worried lol. One more question is Piper's comb size normal for a pullet of her age? This is her:
1000001140.jpg

It's hard for me to tell since I don't have another twoish week old to compare her to.

Thanks for your response! I think I'm overreacting, I'm just worried lol. One more question is Piper's comb size normal for a pullet of her age? This is her:
View attachment 3797331
It's hard for me to tell since I don't have another twoish week old to compare her to.
Is she supposed to be an EE? Usually EE don’t have combs like that. If she isn’t though I would say yes that is normal and also such a cute name!

Is she supposed to be an EE? Usually EE don’t have combs like that. If she isn’t though I would say yes that is normal and also such a cute name!
Piper's a Speckled Sussex, so it's all good then? I would be pretty worried if she was an EE, my EE hen barely has visible wattles lol. I like her name a lot, when my previous two SS were chicks one's stripe went all the way from her head to her tail, like a branch, and her name was Willow, while the other one's head stripe was separate and rounded, and her name is Plum. Piper's stripe is more pointed and looks like the profile of a bird's head from some angles, so I think it's a cute tie-in to the other SS I've owned.

Piper's a Speckled Sussex, so it's all good then? I would be pretty worried if she was an EE, my EE hen barely has visible wattles lol. I like her name a lot, when my previous two SS were chicks one's stripe went all the way from her head to her tail, like a branch, and her name was Willow, while the other one's head stripe was separate and rounded, and her name is Plum. Piper's stripe is more pointed and looks like the profile of a bird's head from some angles, so I think it's a cute tie-in to the other SS I've owned.
Yes all is good, and such cute name ideas! I love that.

Back
Top Bottom