I have 5 acres and am interested in having some chickens for eggs, how may chickens should I start w

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by treefrogparker, Sep 21, 2012.

1. treefrogparker

treefrogparker New Egg

Sep 21, 2012
    I have 5 acres in Florida, so it is really hot here. I would like to start with some chickens but not a rooster. Are there some chickens that I can buy that will lay eggs with out a rooster?

How many should I start with? Any tips would great greatly appriciated.

2. jayjay

jayjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    Essex, UK
    Hi and welcome. I have speckled maran and sussex hens. I do not have a rooster and the hens lay every day. Their eggs are fantastic. Good luck and let us know what you decide to get.

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

All hens will lay eggs without a rooster, so no need to have one if you don't want one. Most small families find that 3-4 hens lay enough eggs to keep them stocked up.

Google the Henderson chicken chart for information on different breeds and their temperature sensitivities.

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    [​IMG] Glad to have you here! If you are like most of us, I would recomend that you make your coop a tad bit bigger to accomodate more chickens in the future just in case you want more. :D

5. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California! I agree with the above posters.

6. chickenpredatorkiller

chickenpredatorkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    South Carolina
    Well 4-5 might be sufficent, but trust me. It is EXTREMELY hard to get a a small number of chicks, for 1. A good price. and 2. The type you want. It was so hard for me to get a small number of the type of chicken that I wanted that I just decided to go with two types that I settled on. The problem was that all the website hatcheries either had a minimum of 15 or 25 or they didn't sell a mixture of different types, or had a narrow variety of them. I suggest if you have 5 acres that you get 15-25 if you are serious about chickens. Unless you don't really care about what type, then you can go ahead and just get 4 or 5. Hope this helped.

7. JeffOeuf

JeffOeuf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Springfield Missouri
    The place to start is with how many eggs per week you would use. It's just the wife and me, and we cook quite a bit. 4 hens are more than keeping up with us, and we give our friends a half dozen pretty much once a week or so. Ours are young, so they're very consistent now. I've read they'll start slacking off in a year or two. So, we may add a couple more then, but for now, 4 is fine. We're getting 4 eggs per day 2 or 3 days per week, 3 eggs a couple days a week, and 2 a couple days a week. Never less than 2.

8. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    [​IMG]

Start with 5 and build a coop and run that will hold 20.

Cackle Hatchery will sell you five pullets. They call them City-Town Pullet Specials or Small Order Specials. My pet chicken will sell as few as 3 depending on your zip code.

If you wait until the spring, you can buy chicks from a local feed store. Some have a minimum but others will sell you as few or as many as your want.

Enjoy them,

Ron

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, treefrogparker, and [​IMG]! I agree with the above posts. I might add, a rooster is good if you a) need fertilized eggs for hatching, and b) he can be a protector for the hens, and c) he kind of keeps the hens in line via the pecking order. But not necessary at all for egg production. Good luck!

10. Brookhavens

Brookhavens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2012
    Brooksville,FL
    Welcome to BYC!!! You may want to make your post over in the Florida thread. Lots of friendly people and you can probably get answers to your questions and a few chicks or hens from someone local: Here is the link: FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by