I have 5 new goslings but one maybe needs help

marathonmultiplesmom

Songster
9 Years
Mar 23, 2010
Chehalis, WA
I think it may have splayed legs or something. I remember browsing on that topic once but didn't read over thoroughly. Can you all post pics of that for me and/or describe it. It hatched 2 days after the others. These were naturally incubated and the mama continued to sit and hatch the late one but the next day she stopped caring for it. I'm not yet sure whether it is still weak from hatching or if there is a problem. Its not quite as lively as I'd like it to be but I have seen some much worse off that made it. I brought her inside into my special needs brooder because she was shivering and cold. Her legs are not under her but rather go out to the side. She seems to be able to rotate herself around somewhat but can't walk.

I will post pics as soon as I can but cannot do it now because the internet connection at my house is under repair and I am using someone else's computer.
If there is some type of treatment that can help her I would like to know. Maybe I will train her as a weeder or something but there will be a place for her.

I guy I work with brought me a gosling to fix last year.

I dont have any pics of her uploaded before i tapped her up- But her legs both splayed out completely to the side- It actually looked like ahe was doing the splits. Anyway- Here she is a few days into her treatment.

46956_splinted_legs.jpg

She wasnt just hatched like yours- so It wont take too long tapped to see a difference inits abilty to walk normally once you tape it up.

Thanks for the picture. I just knew someone would have one!

Of course, I looked it up further. What I made up was a rubber-band with knots tied in it so there were loops on either end. I slipped a foot into each loop and she did A LOT BETTER as soon as I did. She started moving and learning to walk immediately. Now, she doesn't need it all the time but I think I will put the rubber band back on at night time. When she lays down she is more likely to "do the splits" She is starting to walk without it and as soon as she can run with full vigor and keep up with her brother and sisters I hope to put her back out with her mom.

The rubber bands are a good idea, flexible but yet forcing the legs together.

THe appropriate walking muscles will develop that way.

Sounds like her brother and sisters came in to HER
sad.png
Well, that's one way of getting some company . . .

Back
Top Bottom