I have a 7 week old roo and unsure what to do.

Cabeomas

In the Brooder
May 22, 2020
My true blue whiting is 7 weeks and a roo. We can't have roosters. Should I wait until he crows before I try and rehome him or is it easier to do when they are younger? Using him for meat could be an option but they aren't really meaty chickens and I'm not sure I could eat our little Cream Puff. Finally, where's the best place to look for info on rehoming roosters? I don't want him to end up in a shady circumstance.

Attachments

• 20200626_203415.jpg
    20200626_203415.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 14
Keeping him longer just means you'll get more attached making it harder to do what you have to. You can try to rehome him through BYC or Craig's List. It can be hard to find a home for a cockerel unless you can find someone who likes that breed. My advice is to start looking for a new home for the cockerel now as it could take some time. Good luck.

I've rehomed a lot of cockerels with Craigslist. Post a lot of photos--especially of you holding the cockerel. People want to get a friendly rooster. Tell a little story about him and personalize him in the ad. Give him a name if you don't have one yet. It is very hard to find good homes for roosters but you can do it! Make sure the people are trustworthy--there are so many that don't know what they are getting into or don't have safe homes for your boy. It takes some work but you can be successful! You really can. You'll feel really good knowing you did your best to find him a good home. Start now and don't wait.

Back
Top Bottom