I HAVE A BIG EMERGENCY A PIECE OF PLYWOOD FELL ON MY CHICK

Benjelly

In the Brooder
Aug 30, 2020
HELP MY CHICK GOT SMOOSHED BY A PIECE OF PLYWOOD IDK HOW LONG IT WAS ON HER, BUT SHE DOESNT LOOK SO HEALTHY. She’s breathing very hard, she won’t move or open her eyes, and she’s being very quiet. I think she might’ve hurt her neck and legs. Please respond to this with ways to help. I want to help her the best I can or tell me if she cannot win this fight. I take full responsibility for what happened to her. Just please help me

Make sure the chick is somewhere safe, at an appropriate temperature. (Not too hot, not too cold, not where she can get stepped on, not where other chickens or other animals can pester her.)

If you need to pick her up and move her, try not to let her flop too much while you do.

How old is the chick?

Last edited:
HELP MY CHICK GOT SMOOSHED BY A PIECE OF PLYWOOD IDK HOW LONG IT WAS ON HER, BUT SHE DOESNT LOOK SO HEALTHY. She’s breathing very hard, she won’t move or open her eyes, and she’s being very quiet. I think she might’ve hurt her neck and legs. Please respond to this with ways to help. I want to help her the best I can or tell me if she cannot win this fight. I take full responsibility for what happened to her. Just please help me
I'm sorry about your chick :hugs
Good suggestions from everyone.

How old is she?
I think the only thing you can do right now is gently move her to a warm place. Do you have a crate or large tote? Put a towel in there for her to lie on.
I know it's concerning - heavy breathing may be from pain or injury, but also shock, so just go slow. If you stay calm, then that will help her (and you too).

Once you have her settled a bit see if her breathing improves. Right now I don't think I would manipulate her too much, give her a little time.

I know you feel bad, but this was an accident.

Keep us posted on how she is.

You are not alone in having a mishap with your chick. They are tiny and vulnerable and sometimes we flub things and the chick ends up paying for it. Guilt is not a useful emotion. This happened to me, and a week-old chick died. It's tragic. I understand.

If the chick is able to take liquids and swallow, it may have a chance. If the chick is unconscious, and mostly lifeless, it will soon die. Those are your parameters for deciding to euthanize now or wait.

If you think the chick is conscious enough to swallow, warm some water and stir in some sugar. It should be around 100F, no hotter. Don't give cold liquids.

If the chick is in its first two weeks, use a Q-tip dipped in the sugar water. Dribble the liquid along the right side of the beak. If the chick feels the liquid on its beak, it will suck it in. Keep doing this until you get at least a teaspoon into it. Then do it again every hour until the chick responds.

Oh no. Can you post a video of what’s going on? Keep her warm to start with. Not hot but at least bring her in if she’s outside. Is she real young and under lights?
She’s a few weeks old right now I let her and her siblings outside for a while to get used to it out there before they move out there

Ok
I'm sorry about your chick :hugs
Good suggestions from everyone.

How old is she?
I think the only thing you can do right now is gently move her to a warm place. Do you have a crate or large tote? Put a towel in there for her to lie on.
I know it's concerning - heavy breathing may be from pain or injury, but also shock, so just go slow. If you stay calm, then that will help her (and you too).

Once you have her settled a bit see if her breathing improves. Right now I don't think I would manipulate her too much, give her a little time.

I know you feel bad, but this was an accident.

Keep us posted on how she is.
okay I just checked on her again and she seems to be stabilizing. She’s started vocalizing again and has opened her eyes. She still seems weak so I’ll keep an eye on her and follow all the suggestions
How’s she doing now. Have you implemented any of the tactics suggested? It amazes me how birds can come back from the edge of death but it’s possible.
yes I’ve been doing them but she’s still pretty weak so I’ll probably have to wait overnight and see how she does in the morning

Back
Top Bottom