I Have a Broody Hen!!

mbphotos09

Songster
Apr 14, 2015
Watching Chicken TV...
I went on a trip for a week and when I came back my polish hen, Pom-Pom, was sitting in her favorite nest box! She's has official been sitting for 5 days and nights so I think it's safe to say she's broody. And boy, is she mean! I had read that broodys were often protective over their eggs but I had no idea! She wouldn't even let me look underneath her to see if she even had any real eggs for 5 days. I finally managed to get underneath her (I thought she was going to rip my arm off!) and she had 1 egg and 2 fake eggs underneath her. I candled the real egg but it was clear... I gave her one more egg that was laid today but I don't know if that one will develop either.
After the first couple of days, I hadn't seen her get up to eat or drink so I put some food and water near her. She is doing good with those and is actually eating now. I assume she is getting up and pooping elsewhere because I don't see poop in the nest box.

Okay now for some 'newbie' question!! Sorry there might be a lot of them!
1. How do I safely look underneath her? She is very aggressive (which isn't her normal behavior lol!) and will puff up and try to attack you if you get near.
2. Will she continue sitting if nothing hatches? Her one egg didn't develop so I don't know if I have any fertilized eggs to give her.
3. How long does fertilization last after the rooster is removed? My rooster died about 2 and a half weeks ago.
4. Can you hatch eggs that have been sitting in the fridge? I know some of the eggs are fertilized that are in there.
5. And finally, it is really hot here (high 90s to the 100s). Is is safe for her to be sitting in the coop? I know that she is drinking at least once a day. Hopefully she is getting more water but I just can't catch her.

Thanks for any advice you all can give!!!
(Huh, weren't Polish chickens supposed to be non-broody? :D )

Last edited:
1. How do I safely look underneath her? She is very aggressive (which isn't her normal behavior lol!) and will puff up and try to attack you if you get near. No easy answer to that one - grin and bear it, but try to take a look when you see her off the nest, if thats possible.

2. Will she continue sitting if nothing hatches? Her one egg didn't develop so I don't know if I have any fertilized eggs to give her. She is likely to give up at some time or other, but the longer she is broody, the more condition she will lose (and thus be more susceptible to illnesses). If you wish to stop her broodiness, then check out this link - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/181289/how-to-break-a-broody-hen.
3. How long does fertilization last after the rooster is removed? My rooster died about 2 and a half weeks ago. I have read from other members that it can be up to 3-4 weeks. Why not break an egg to see if its fertile - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/16008/how-to-tell-a-fertile-vs-infertile-egg-pictures
4. Can you hatch eggs that have been sitting in the fridge? I know some of the eggs are fertilized that are in there. I have read that members have done so, but the viability declines with the age of the eggs (generally using eggs more than 10 days old is not recommended)
5. And finally, it is really hot here (high 90s to the 100s). Is is safe for her to be sitting in the coop? I know that she is drinking at least once a day. Hopefully she is getting more water but I just can't catch her. It should be fine - she knows what she is doing.

IMO, just leaving her with one or two eggs is not necessarily ideal (if only one hatches, it will not have an age-mate within the main flock, which can be a bit tough on them). If you can find a source of fertile eggs nearby, it may be better to go that route.

CT

Thank you so much for your response! I see what you mean by how giving her only one or two eggs isn't a good idea. I took a look at those links and cracked a few eggs open. I don't have any fertilized eggs. :( I think my best bet is to try and break her broodiness. I would love to get her some fertile eggs to hatch but I can't right now. Now to get her off of her nest!
I will update on my progress with her. ;)

You are most welcome - good luck in breaking her broodiness - if it doesn't work at first, repeat until it does.

Back
Top Bottom