I have a bulldog that’s sick. My 3rd bulldog in 2 years

I was trolling around websites of English Bulldog breeders. I came several that offered comprehensive health guarantees of their puppies that covered several years of the dog's life. However, their dogs were not cheap. I think they started in the $4,000 range and that was for pet puppies, not show. These puppies were all sold with a spay/neuter contract.

Bulldog prices in general are expensive. Probably because of small litter size, and them often needing a c-section. They are expensive to buy, and can be expensive to keep. Great personalities though, just wish more would breed for better structure.

Bulldog prices in general are expensive. Probably because of small litter size, and them often needing a c-section. They are expensive to buy, and can be expensive to keep. Great personalities though, just wish more would breed for better structure.

If I remember correctly this isn't for bulldogs, but for pugs there are people crossing beagles into the pugs and then mixing those pug x beagle crosses into pugs so eventually they look like pure red pugs, but they have longer muzzles. Because of years of breeding, its impossible to make the muzzle longer without outcrossing. Plus that tail is prone to some sort of spine disease.. it happens often.

Puggle is on my to do list of dogs. I wanted a pug, but I don't want the health problems. I prefer the mixes. They are much healthier. I also want a bugg.

I'm not aware of any intentional English bulldog mixes, but there probably are quite a few. I like the various French bulldog mixes. I don't want to have to listen to my dog struggling to breathe daily, or for them to need bose surgery.

Puggle is on my to do list of dogs. I wanted a pug, but I don't want the health problems. I prefer the mixes. They are much healthier. I also want a bugg.

I'm not aware of any intentional English bulldog mixes, but there probably are quite a few. I like the various French bulldog mixes. I don't want to have to listen to my dog struggling to breathe daily, or for them to need bose surgery.

Usually I am against the mixed breeding of dogs, its usually not done very reputably, but I wouldn't be opposed to a breeder of brachy mixes who does appropriate health testing.

I don't mind mixed breeding as long as it's presented as such. Some try to claim registry through these off registry sites.

I don't mind mixed breeding as long as it's presented as such. Some try to claim registry through these off registry sites.
Just a comment. I have had three Pugs in my life. With one exception none of them had any health issues beyond an intolerance for heat. The one exception was my first Pug and he was given to me. He had an elongated palate. After that was fixed he was fine. The other two Pugs I had I purchased. I saw the parents and the littermates and I made sure none of them were snorters. Snorting is an indication of the palate problem. I also made sure their nostrils were not pinched either. All of them were active dogs and all of them died at a ripe old age. I would get another Pug in a heartbeat but right now the two dogs I have are all I can handle. If my experience is any indication, if you can look you can find a healthy Pug.

after

Just a comment. I have had three Pugs in my life. With one exception none of them had any health issues beyond an intolerance for heat. The one exception was my first Pug and he was given to me. He had an elongated palate. After that was fixed he was fine. The other two Pugs I had I purchased. I saw the parents and the littermates and I made sure none of them were snorters. Snorting is an indication of the palate problem. I also made sure their nostrils were not pinched either. All of them were active dogs and all of them died at a ripe old age. I would get another Pug in a heartbeat but right now the two dogs I have are all I can handle. If my experience is any indication, if you can look you can find a healthy Pug.

after
That's good to know. I also assume keeping them at a healthy weight goes a long way to keeping them healthier. They are good little happy dogs. :)

Did you, by chance, use the same breeder all the times? Could be a problem specifically with their stock if you did. Some people breed for money and not health. So unfortunate, especially considering the challenges English bulldogs already have.
You make an excellent point. Especially with bulldogs you need to find a breeder that gives a health guarantee with their dogs. I found several that offer good health guarantees but, as I said before, their puppies are not cheap. Their puppies start in the $4,000 range. If I was looking to buy a bulldog, I would buy from a breeder like that and consider the money well spent. Most of these breeders also have long waiting lists.

Back
Top Bottom