1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have a chick with a crooked beak...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rebecca10782, Oct 31, 2008.

1. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    It was straight when they first came, they are two weeks now. I am just wondering if this is common? I don't mind but I am worried it might get worse.

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Is it like a cross beak, where the top goes in one direction and the bottom in another? If so, i've heard that this can get worse over time. It's not fatal, but think it's a genetic flaw. You would not want to breed the bird. But it will do fine as long as the food containers are such that it can still eat if it gets really crossed. You can search for "cross beak" or crossed beak" on this site and probably find more information.

3. rebecca10782

Apr 24, 2008
    No it's definitley not crossed. It's just crooked [​IMG]

4. Momo

Momo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Nelson BC
    I have a crooked one, too - 3 weeks old and his face & beak are slewed off to the right, slowly getting worse. It wasn't noticeable for the first week or so. It's not a scissor beak because the lower beak still fits into the upper beak, but the beak is open along the sides; the top and bottom beaks only fully connect at the end. I have the feeling that I am going to have cull this chick...

5. shareneh

shareneh Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2008
    North Dakota
    I have a chicken like this. At about 16 weeks her beak got so curved that she couldn't eat. My DH and BIL sawed the beak off at the tip and now she can eat feed again. She can't pick grass or insects but she is happy and healthy, slimmer than the others but ok. Just see how it goes. If you have the time to take care of her then I say it's worth it. She will love you more than the others for caring for her. Make sure there is a feeder that you can put loose feed into though because your chicken will have to scoop her food out and not peck it. I have a special bowl just for my chicken. Good luck.

6. rebecca10782

Apr 24, 2008
    Thanks everyone, hopefully it won't get to much worse. Her top and bottom beak line uup perfectly now. I will see how it goes.

7. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I have a bird like this. She is 11 weeks old and we just really started noticing it a couple of weeks ago. Her beak meets up perfectly all the way down - it just curves slightly to the right. Doesn't seem to affect her in any way but I am watching to see if it gets worse as she matures.

8. carress

carress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    Sounds like she needs braces [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by