I have a Chicken Lice problem and need advice

Kade5ster

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2021
I’m not very knowledgeable on the whole mite and lice problem, I have been fortunate enough to be mite and lice free for a while, but I am seeking the best possible ways to eliminate and prevent the problem, any advice would be very much appreciated.

Attachments

• 1E5F24FF-F24E-4C24-969A-44E5829E4C48.jpeg
    1E5F24FF-F24E-4C24-969A-44E5829E4C48.jpeg
    401.7 KB · Views: 30
I’m not very knowledgeable on the whole mite and lice problem, I have been fortunate enough to be mite and lice free for a while, but I am seeking the best possible ways to eliminate and prevent the problem, any advice would be very much appreciated.
Get some poultry dust with permethrin and dust under the vent, each wing, the chest and under the hackles on the back.
Repeat in 7 days.

Get some poultry dust with permethrin and dust under the vent, each wing, the chest and under the hackles on the back.
Repeat in 7 days.
My father in law is telling me about putting the poultry dust in a pillow case and then putting the bird in the pillow case and then letting the chicken flap around for a few seconds. Would that work?

My father in law is telling me about putting the poultry dust in a pillow case and then putting the bird in the pillow case and then letting the chicken flap around for a few seconds. Would that work?
I would not do that. If you kept their head out and shook the bag gently to coat them, that would be better. Let them out of the bag outside so when they shake the dust will blow away from them and will minimize the chance of them inhaling it.

I eliminated lice on my chickens using the spot treatment I described in the first post.

Yes, the Gardstar poultry dust will work.

Attachments

• PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 8
  • PermethrinSpray.jpg
    PermethrinSpray.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 3
  • PoultryDust0.25.jpg
    PoultryDust0.25.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1
  • permethrinDust.jpg
    permethrinDust.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 8
Be sure to wear a N95 face mask!!!
Inhaling dust is very bad, and when you are treating your birds, the dust will fly everywhere. The spray is easier, but still wear protection.
Permethrin works very well for lice or mites, and unless your birds are indoors 24/7, they will pick them up from the wild birds.
We are dealing with mites here right now. Hate them too!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom