I have a chicken that lays down a lot. Is she sick or am I overreacting???

Bellurd

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 17, 2012
Woodland Hills, Ca
Hi there! I have 6 easter egger chicks that are 6 weeks old. They have a chicken tractor and free range during the day. In the last two days I've noticed that the biggest chick has been laying down a lot and doesn't really seem too interested in foraging, though she does keep up with the flock as they move around the yard. Most of the time she's just laying near the rest of them while they eat and constantly grooms herself. She seems much more interested in grooming than eating, but she definitely drinks a lot. She'll peck around here and there but doesn't seem as eager as the others to find food. Her poops have been watery and contain undigested grass. She also still sleeps on the floor under the heat lamp with the smallest one while the others roost at night. I've inspected her for mites but saw nothing and her comb is still nice and pink like the others. I was about to take her to the vet ($$$) but after speaking with a neighbor, I decided to wait it out and observe more. Any advice would be so very much appreciated! Thank you!

here are some disease info:

Infectious Stunting Syndrome

Incidence: becoming a more common ailment in the U.S.
System/organ affected: digestive
Symptoms: in young birds: low growth rate, pale skin, slow feather development, diarrhea, undigested food in droppings.
Cause: unknown; may occur in combination with virus and bacteria present.
Transmission: unknown; possibly airborne virus.
Prevention: unknown; avoid crowding and practice good sanitation.
Treatment: unknown; following an outbreak clean and disinfect very thoroughly with iodine solution.

Leucocytozoonosis​

Incidence: only in areas where biting midges and blackflies are present, especially during summer and fall. In North America it occurs in southeastern states, Minnesota and Wisconsin.
System/organ affected: blood
Symptoms: in young birds: droopiness, weakness, lameness, fever, loss of appetite, increased thirst.
Cause: protozoan parasites that infect many other kinds of birds more often than chickens.
Transmission: spread by biting midges from infected or carrier birds, does not spread through direct contact.
Prevention: control blackfiles and midges.
Treatment: ineffective, recovered birds are carriers and will never lay well.

Lymphoid Leukosis​

Incidence: common chicken ailment worldwide
System/organ affected: entire body
Symptoms: in young birds: sudden death without symptoms, pale shriveled comb, loss of appetite, diarrhea, emaciation, weakness, etc. In hens: reduced egg production, enlarged abdomen, loose droppings.
Cause: a group of retroviruses that primarily infect chickens and do not live long off of the bird's body.
Transmission: contact with infected birds through droppings or by blood sucking parasites. Hen to chick.
Prevention: control by buying and breeding resistant birds.
Treatment: none; cull

Hope this helps

Took her to the vet today. Now she's quarantined in the bathtub and being force fed nutrient/calorie mush since she'd rather peck at her own poop. Stupid chicken. I'll have the results of the fecal test tomorrow morning.

So the vet was a complete waste of money. Her poo came back negative for parasites so the vet suggested I board her there for $150 a day to detox her for heavy metals which was "just a shot in the dark." So I told them they were out of their minds. Ended up going to my local feed store and found the antibiotics I had been looking for the whole time (sulfer based, which my breeder had recommended) When I had called previously, this impatient lady that works there said they didn't have any. So now the chicken is back with all her chicken friends in the coop. The antibiotics are in their waters and the sick one is now eating much better. I'm also keeping them confined to their coop so they'll gain some weight. They got pretty thin eating all that grass. Just an update!
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom