I have a coop problem!

GertrudeLover01

Songster
7 Years
Mar 20, 2012
Murfreesboro, TN
Hey all! My problem is that i have 5 chickens, but in.....
Coop # 1 we have: Penny (Production Red) and Maggie (Barred Rock)- "sisters" and maggie is her protector forever. any other animal that comes near penny is attacked.
Coop # 2 we have: Daisy (Jersey Giant) and Maisy (OEGB/bantam cochin/sebright mix.....i know, basically just a mutt.) - Same situation here, except they really are sisters- well, hatch-mates.
Dog Crate: Rosie (Silkie)..........ah.
We have a problem. I am allowed 6 hens. I don't want to get another for a while, so i don't know what to do. Combining them all may work, but I don't think that would honestly work, because of Maggie and Maisy- they are the 2 more aggressive to other chickens.They all love me though. Hmmmm... I don't know what to do here.

Here is my question to you:
How can I make my Rosie not so lonely and how can I do this before winter sets in too terribly bad?

I have one thought, but it won't work until Rosie starts to lay, and she is only 5 months and I heard the avg. laying age for silkies is 9-10 months. If Rosie gets broody (and we all know that is extremely likely), then i can slip a chick under her for her to raise so she has a natural companion.

so, please help me, I am so lost. I have no idea what to do!!!
idunno.gif

You can always put pinless peepers on Maggie and Daisy. Your hens should all be able to live together in the same coop. Heck, I have 63 hens and 3 roosters all living in the same coop right now. You can also make a place where the silkie can get away from the others, like a partition with a hole in it that the silkie can fit through and the others can't. 4" mesh welded wire fencing would work well.

Back
Top Bottom