I have a Cornish x hen who keeps laying huge possibly doubles yolked eggs

Harold the Hen

In the Brooder
Oct 12, 2020
One of my smallest Cornish x hens started laying, and her first egg was HUUGE. It was bigger than our store bought jumbo eggs and I was shocked. She’s still laying these huge eggs and when my dad cracked one open it was double yolked. On one hand it was pretty frigging cool, but on the other I’m really concerned for my hen’s health. I know Cornish x eggs are supposed to be a bit larger than normal eggs, but these eggs are ridiculously large and I’m worried about her little cloaca. My other hen lays these adorable small eggs, a bug difference compared to this one. Is there anything I should be watching for?

Attachments

• 89BAAEC3-BEB6-423D-9F5D-741122A3A7E4.jpeg
    89BAAEC3-BEB6-423D-9F5D-741122A3A7E4.jpeg
    607.5 KB · Views: 20
About the size me Amerucana x Leghorn lays. Make they they get plenty of calcium and protien. Mine didn't have trouble the first few years, but nowadays her eggs are always a danger to her (eggbinding or cracking inside of her).
Just keep an eye on her in case one is stuck or she prolapses

One of my smallest Cornish x hens started laying, and her first egg was HUUGE. It was bigger than our store bought jumbo eggs and I was shocked. She’s still laying these huge eggs and when my dad cracked one open it was double yolked. On one hand it was pretty frigging cool, but on the other I’m really concerned for my hen’s health. I know Cornish x eggs are supposed to be a bit larger than normal eggs, but these eggs are ridiculously large and I’m worried about her little cloaca. My other hen lays these adorable small eggs, a bug difference compared to this one. Is there anything I should be watching for?
D763E39E-F373-4436-ACD3-E2E1D4D73792.jpeg

Attachments

• 675C5AC5-D595-42C0-834B-68FEEF6BBB72.jpeg
    675C5AC5-D595-42C0-834B-68FEEF6BBB72.jpeg
    506.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 76AF122C-F327-40ED-85CD-56D449FB9709.jpeg
    76AF122C-F327-40ED-85CD-56D449FB9709.jpeg
    702.2 KB · Views: 8
I also have a 16 lb Cornish cross hen that lays very big eggs. Sometimes they are incredibly large. Sometimes double yokes.
Wow. Is it worth getting these girls as layers? I thought about getting six this year but passed on it. It had to do with processing meat birds. Where I live I would have to do it myself. I have experience with geese. I am just not sure I want to do the cleaning and plucking. And then there is the freezer space factor. Maybe next year...

Wow. Is it worth getting these girls as layers? I thought about getting six this year but passed on it. It had to do with processing meat birds. Where I live I would have to do it myself. I have experience with geese. I am just not sure I want to do the cleaning and plucking. And then there is the freezer space factor. Maybe next year...
I wouldn’t get them for layers. This is the only Cornish cross I have had. I bought her for an experiment to cross to my large Asian gamefowl roosters. She is very friendly and healthy but I hear they can easily develop leg issues. Also you need a safe predator proof set up as it’s impossible for her to fly. I don’t know how long she’ll live but so far so good. Definitely clumsy compared to other breeds. She’s only been laying for 3 weeks so far, and almost a daily layer...

Back
Top Bottom