I. Have a hen who has been hatching for the past week.she left her eggs get cold but then sat on the

amymul1

Hatching
Jun 6, 2016
i have a hen who started hatching a week ago. I candled the eggs last night, they all seemed to be developing perfectly fine. But I went to check on the hen this morning and she was off the eggs( I am aware that the hens do leave the nest once in a while) but the eggs were cold and buried in the shaving I left the hen with the eggs while I went to get a box to take the eggs When I arrived back she was sitting on the eggs again. I know she sat on the the eggs after I had candles them because I waited for her to. Should I take the eggs off of her and give her new one and risk her getting bored and leaving them ? Or will leave her with these ones? Could the chicks still hatch ???

i have a hen who started hatching a week ago. I candled the eggs last night, they all seemed to be developing perfectly fine. But I went to check on the hen this morning and she was off the eggs( I am aware that the hens do leave the nest once in a while) but the eggs were cold and buried in the shaving I left the hen with the eggs while I went to get a box to take the eggs When I arrived back she was sitting on the eggs again. I know she sat on the the eggs after I had candles them because I waited for her to. Should I take the eggs off of her and give her new one and risk her getting bored and leaving them ? Or will leave her with these ones? Could the chicks still hatch ???

How warm is it where you live?
The hen usually knows how long she can be gone from nest.
The eggs might feel cold on the outside, but they might be fine on the inside.
Up to you if you want to let her continue, or take over her job with an incubator(that has it's risks too)

Back
Top Bottom