I have a homemade brooder and need some quick advice

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shellcracker, Apr 3, 2009.

1. shellcracker

shellcracker Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2009
    Pitts, Georgia
    I have a homemade brooder and need some help on how to ventalate it. The brooder is 30x36 made out of plywood with a wood top and bottom. I have read where the brooders need to be draft free but I feel like it needs some type of ventalation to keep the chicks some fresh air. This is my first batch and they will be arriving next week so please help me with this problem

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Good question. You could just take the top off. Many brooders don't have a top and if they do, it's made of wire. As long as you have solid sides and a solid bottom, you should not have any drafts. You can test it by putting a candle in it and observe the flame.

3. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Do you have a pic you can post? Might make it easier to offer advice. [​IMG]

4. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    delete

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  5. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    If it is a solid "cube" with opening top I would use a jig saw and cut opening in the top and cover with chicken wire.

6. shellcracker

shellcracker Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2009
    Pitts, Georgia
    Quote:Sorry no pictures at the present time. It is a solid wood box 30x36x30inches high.

7. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Take the top off. Or at least half the top.

8. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I found it easier to use a plastic tote (large size) as a brooder the first couple of weeks. After that, I move them to the large wooden box -- sounds like it is about the same size as your's. Our's doesn't have a top, we have made a top for it from wire framed with wood. I'm fairly certain in one more week, they will be flying to the top of it to survey the greater world beyond their walls [​IMG] so the top is very necessary.

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:I agree, top needs air, any kind of wire, window screen, whatever you have. If you have to buy something, plastic bird netting from Home Depot is under $10 for a big roll.

10. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    We worry so much about the chicks getting cold.. But if you listen and observe you can tell if they are comfortable.
    Leaving the top partially off to give fresh air and reduce the moisture sounds good. Heck go to the farm stores and they have the chicks in horse troughs with heat lamp on one end. They are running and jumping around not cold at all.
    And if broody hen was raising them they have all sorts of temp. changes but can zip under momma to warm up....
    If they are spread out eating and chirping contently they are comfortable with the temp. I would worry more about overheating them....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by