I have a limping chicken

laurarae1945

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2016
I have a 16wk old free range chicken and I noticed she was limping yesterday. At night when they go in the coop they jump up in the rafters, so in the morning they jump down. Not sure if she injured it from jumping down? Its not broken, she is putting some weight on it....but holds it up when staying still. It looked like she had poop stuck on it yesterday, so I thought that maybe the problem. I try and help them down from the rafters in the morning, except mornings I have to work. It still looks like there maybe a little poop on her foot. So any info would be great. This is the first time I have had chickens. So not sure if I should keep her in for a few days? Is there any medications that can be put on if ut were cut, or meds thst can be bought from local feed stores...tractor supply? I live in Maine. Thank you to who ever can help me???

You should perform an exam on your pullet to determine what the problem might be.

Examine the legs and ankles, comparing them to the uninjured leg.
Feel for swelling and heat in the joints.
Feel for slippage of a tendon in the joints.
Look for any cuts on the leg.

Then move your examination to the foot.
Look for broken claws or crooked toes.
Feel for heat in the foot.
Look on the bottom of the foot or toes for signs of bumblefoot (look this up on the forums if you don't know what it is).

Once you determine what the problem is, then you can investigate the forums to seek a treatment.

Good luck!

You should perform an exam on your pullet to determine what the problem might be.

Examine the legs and ankles, comparing them to the uninjured leg.
Feel for swelling and heat in the joints.
Feel for slippage of a tendon in the joints.
Look for any cuts on the leg.

Then move your examination to the foot. 
Look for broken claws or crooked toes.
Feel for heat in the foot.
Look on the bottom of the foot or toes for signs of bumblefoot (look this up on the forums if you don't know what it is).

Once you determine what the problem is, then you can investigate the forums to seek a treatment.

Good luck!

Thank you so much...she is better now. I have been helping her down from the rafters in the coop in the a.m..so she is not jumping. There were no visual signs of anything on her foot or leg. So I thought maybe she hurt herself jumping. She is happy and healthy. Thank again...
1f603.png

Back
Top Bottom