I have a mama hen and a 3 week old chick.....can I move them with the others yet?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nkayne04, Oct 17, 2012.

1. nkayne04

nkayne04 New Egg

Mar 25, 2011
    My mama hen and baby "Popcorn" have been living in the garage for the last 3 weeks. Popcorn can now jump out of the large animal waterer and they have been having a hay day in the garage. My hubby is getting a little upset with chicken poo everywhere. I am just worried the other hens may hurt little Popcorn. Mama is very protective. What should I do? We live in OKlahoma so it's not too cold.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't know. I've never waited that long to let a broody raise a chick with the flock. I'm not sure how the rest of the flock will react to a strange hen and chick being introduced. I'd expect Mama to be so protective of the chick and to have such a bad attitude where protection of the chick is concerned that things would work out, but I really don't have any experience with that specific situation.

When mine hatch chicks with the flock I let them raise the chicks with the flock. Most of the time the other chickens leave the chicks alone but when a hen gets aggressive Mama quickly teaches her better manners. That's the way chickens have been raised for thousands of years. I just don't have experience reintegrating a hen and chick where the hen has been absent for at least three weeks. Even when a broody hides a nest, she stll mixes with the flock some when she is taking her daily constitutional so she is not totally forgotten.

I'd try introducing them and I'd expect you to be OK, but I sure can't give any guarantees.

3. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Depends on the temperament of the oher chicks but the protective mama hen should take care of the little one. Put them in and watch them for a bit to make sure things work out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by