I have a mystery...update

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Katy, May 28, 2008.

1. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

This morning I thought I had 7 pheasants hatched, but I guess I counted wrong through the window because there are only 6 egg shells. BUT there are only 5 babies in the incubator!!! It's one of my 1588s so the lid fits down snugly. I haven't opened it since before they started to hatch yesterday...just looked through the window. I've looked all over and can't find it or hear it peeping. I was gone all morning so wasn't here to check them earlier. I thought maybe the hubby went down to look at them, but he hasn't been down there. I am greatly puzzled!!

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  2. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Could one of them had a double shell? Probably unlikely, as it would surely have trouble pipping/zipping....but I can't think of anything else [​IMG]

3. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    this might be a far shot?? are you using the egg carton method? Maybe check under the carton? Also, does it have a fan maybe?? I don't know that's very strange.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:That was my first thought too, that it was under the egg carton, but I checked and nothing there. It's mystery to me.

5. lilcountry

lilcountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Benson, NC
    Have you moved the babies to see if they are close together? That is very strange.

6. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Very peculiar.... you will have to be certain and post if you ever figure this one out...... I'm so curious to know what has happened.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Yes I moved them to the brooder.....6 shells, 5 babies. ???????????

If I find it I'll let you all know.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

This is very intriguing, Katy! Cant wait till you solve the mystery.

9. Jubaby

Jubaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    West Texas
    Okay, so if you count the other eggs left, is there an extra egg somewhere? I'm wondering about the double egg shell thing.

This is weird!!??? I'll be checking back to see if you figure it out.

[​IMG]

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

OK...went downstairs to look again and finally hear a cheeping from under the stands to my grandma's quilting frame! Managed to get it out. Very chilled and slow, but I've got it warming under the heat lamp and it's trying to stand. I still have NO clue how it got out. I hope it survives!! The others are doing good so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by