I have a new idea for my backyard ecosystem

Mini Coop

Songster
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
Cascades of Washington
This year I have 2 geese and 2 ducks. They have fee reign of my main backyard, my chickens are in a smaller section away from the veggie garden, with an auto-chicken door coop and frre range in their section.

I herd the waterfowl back in their three section pen. They have two small wading pools in their pen for when we have to leave them cooped up while we're out of town.

In the main yard I set up a wading pool under a young pear tree. When the pool gets murky we merely bucket out the water on the pear tree. Let me tell you, that pear tree is thriving!

I have quite a few fruit trees, so next year I plan on getting more wading pools and set them up under my various trees. The ducks and geese will like it, they'll poop in them, then I'll have a wonderful manure tea for my fruit trees!

big_smile.png

Sounds great. Maybe you could rig a drain hose though using plastic pipe fittings. Bucketing out more than one pool is going to get old fast.

I have my coop and run next to a huge Pecan tree .

I am hoping all the poop will HELP the pecans thrive . Last couple of years looked like it needed to be vertilized . ANYONE think this MIGHT HELP ?

I know its GREAT in gardens

Quote:
i KNOW it will,,, 2 years ago when i bought this place,, the pecan tree in the back was almost dead,,,,,i have pools for all my birds,,, but i have no water fowl,,,so i only put 4 inches of water in it at a time,, and change it 3 times a day,,,,,,we have to be careful walking under the tree now,,,,its soooo full of pecans the limbs break
big_smile.png

So you think the POOP from the chickens will help the pecans ???? Last 2 years the pecans were rotted inside . YARD was covered with pecans but they were not any good .

It would be good to set up a system where I could easily drain the wading pool. I'd have to anchor a drain hose down, one of my geese gets upset if a hose is in the wading pool, she'll try to remove it with mighty efforts.

i aint no pecan expert,,,in fact this is the first pecan tree ive had,,haha,,,, but i know thats the ONLY thing i did to mine,,,and its great now.
instead of a drain hose,,,what about a plug in the side as low as you can go without it being in the dirt?

Back
Top Bottom