I have a preemie - what do I do?

I really do hope the chirping does encourage the others to come out and play. I was fine with waiting, but now that I see a real life chick, I'm too excited to wait for the others.

Its too bad our singles can't get together for a play date while waiting on their hatch mates ;)

My niece and I do that with our puppies, and it seems to make them happy
big_smile.png

i have hatched different bantam breeds twice now and they have all hatched on day 19! all the chicks were fine i even left the ones that hatched in the incubator for a couple days while i waited to see if anyoen else was going to hatch as long as they are warm they should be ok

I wanted to thank everyone for their help and encouraging words. This is (obviously
roll.png
) my first hatch, and I was a wreck all of yesterday.

Hercules (blue silkie) got a buddy at lunch time today (roughly 20 hrs after he hatched). Big Joe took about 14 hours from pip to hatch, and I did need to perform a mini surgery. He had umbilical (?) cord type thing wrapped around his leg, and he wasn't able to extend one leg, he was also attached to the shell. I let it go on about 6 hours, but did finally put him in the brooder, and cut him loose. He is doing well now, and is able to stand and move.

We also just had another hatch, she's the white one in the incubator - she'll be called "lady".

Thought I would put pictures up, because, really - who doesn't love a picture of a wittle baby chick
big_smile.png

Thanks again,
Heather

Last edited:
I don't know if it's my computer being dumb, but the links don't work.
barnie.gif
I want to see the babies!
tongue.png

Oh, and if anyone else is hatching for the first time (and reading this) - I have the incubator in the bathroom. In order to safely open up the incubator while others were still hatching, we ran the shower hot long enough to raise the humidity in the entire room to about 80% or more. I opened the lid long enough to snatch out the 2 babies, and we have had 2 hatch since then. I think having the room more humid than the bator allowed us to not sacrifice the rest of the pippers.

Back
Top Bottom