I have a problem do I need dispatch

I ran formulation on the diet, excluding your protein additions since there are not known amounts and they are somewhat sporadic and instead including the suggested meat meal. Even with the meat meal inclusion, the crude protein of this diet is nearly 3% below what it should be for this age of bird. This diet has an acceptable CP for an adult bird, but young birds need higher CP contents for growth. It is also low in the essential amino acids. This could cause issues with standing as the birds may be having issues with muscle development. More than that though, this diet is low in all the necessary vitamins, which can also cause a variety of issues. It also has a fairly high inclusion rate of peas which have antinutritional factors that can affect digestibility of nutrients. This effect is seen more prominently in young birds than in older birds. You can modify some of these ingredients and and others to be a workable diet, but you'd need to increase your inclusion of wheat, decrease your inclusion of corn, and completely remove the oats and peas. Then you'd need to add soybean meal, use meat and bone meal, add poultry fat, limestone, a vitamin and mineral premix (this is really important!), and salt. If the feed from the store is over $10, then the formula I came up with is cheaper on first glance, however, that is only if you can buy the ingredients in bulk and you don't factor in the labor that goes into making it. There is also something to be said for feeding backyard birds crumbles and pellets. Mash feed is fine being fed as long as there are no other feed options available, and only what the birds need is fed. This means by the end of the day there should be no feed left. To avoid feed segregation and ingredient choosing when feeding mash, birds need to be hungry enough to eat every last bit of that mash. If there is feed leftover, it's likely the birds are not getting all of their nutrients because they are picking and choosing the parts they like the best.

I didn't calculate the meat meal, which is definetely needed as a fish meal substitute, because I don't know what you are using, or how you are treating to before inclusion - its a great big box of unknown.

But most meats are mostly water, meaning if you are including 10% by weight, you are seriously short changing the birds when compared to the dehydrated, fat-reduced fish meals. In its natural state, muscle tends to be around 75% water, 20% protein, and 5% "everything else". the "80/20" you buy at the supermarket as ground beef (or maybe you dont) is actually 75% water, at least 20% protein, and not more than 5% fat - approximately.
I know they need protein that’s why we give them meat n cheese etc they defiantly get that they also get scraps from hunting so meat is over covered I’d say
Phosphorus my oats have a warning on them saying high phos make sure calcium is added to horses who eat oats due to phosprus levels
Plus they get all greens like the j Rhodes green grass bar they get outside
Constantly have fresh greens
There inside atm due to weather it’s too cold to go out for them atm
Free form grit and kelp means they have it there to pick at
I don’t use salt and my fish amino is home made recipie washed fish salmon and haddock in lab fermented and stabilised

Meat side they get to pick at carcasses too all types of extras to fill their meat side of stuff, just had a goose at Xmas .
the fish was added as it gives a boost of protine aminos which require no energy to be absorbed as there digested already , so it’s an immediate form or building blocks aminos.
I don’t add fish powders at 10% or anything as been told about uric acid posioning and metals they can contain so where I can I make myself catch it or leftovers they get meat all the time

Main reason we did this diet was to get off soy beans as we didn’t want them on soy whatsoever
And the recipie said that by 8 weeks they should move on this from the chick crumb they was fed before which was NOT corn based as before 6 weeks they can’t process it

My peas are micronised peas and there is study’s showing peas to be one of the best nutritions full of aminos for chickens more weight etc also gained how is that bad ?
And the oats why remove them ? There far and phosphorus Beta glucan and amino too ?
The cp is why they get cheese n meat n stuff too

This is what they was on till 2 week ago when we swapped as instructed
And again with added scraps of meat n stuff too we always give em food to scratch at greens egg herbs meat cheese etc to boost be protein

Organic Baby Chick Starter Feed Recipe (No Fish Meal)

5 cups organic hull-less oats
5 cups organic wheat
5 cups organic split green peas or organic field peas
2 cups organic (shelled) sunflower seeds
1 cup organic flax meal or organic sesame seeds
2 Tbs blackstrap molasses
1/4 cup organic kelp
2 Tbs brewer’s yeast

And this link is on videos and websites allover
https://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2016/06/homemade-chicken-feed-recipe.html

We add the meat as said

Last edited:
Ok, they were on starter UNTIL 2 WEEKS AGO. Then you changed to homemade recipe. It sounds nutritional to me. Try going back to starter.
My opinion (and everyone has one),
Change to a commercial feed
If your so convinced it is Marek and not your feed, cull them, and the outside flock. Sterilize house, clothes, then start working on ridding virus from outside area. I'm not sure if you should do outside first, then house, or vice-versa. Either way there's potential to contaminate areas already sterilized/clean.
Your choice, their your birds and you know best.

Been watching this thread, I dont know a lot about this topic but I am going to throw my two cents in after hearing everyones thoughts-
I would, personally, treat them as though this is a nutritional deficiency. If there's no improvement after switching feed/supplementing, then I guess that could indicate its mareks.
But I would try to save them and treat for other things before culling and starting over.

I know they need protein that’s why we give them meat n cheese etc they defiantly get that they also get scraps from hunting so meat is over covered I’d say
Phosphorus my oats have a warning on them saying high phos make sure calcium is added to horses who eat oats due to phosprus levels
Plus they get all greens like the j Rhodes green grass bar they get outside
Constantly have fresh greens
There inside atm due to weather it’s too cold to go out for them atm
Free form grit and kelp means they have it there to pick at
I don’t use salt and my fish amino is home made recipie washed fish salmon and haddock in lab fermented and stabilised

Meat side they get to pick at carcasses too all types of extras to fill their meat side of stuff, just had a goose at Xmas .
the fish was added as it gives a boost of protine aminos which require no energy to be absorbed as there digested already , so it’s an immediate form or building blocks aminos.
I don’t add fish powders at 10% or anything as been told about uric acid posioning and metals they can contain so where I can I make myself catch it or leftovers they get meat all the time

Main reason we did this diet was to get off soy beans as we didn’t want them on soy whatsoever
And the recipie said that by 8 weeks they should move on this from the chick crumb they was fed before which was NOT corn based as before 6 weeks they can’t process it

My peas are micronised peas and there is study’s showing peas to be one of the best nutritions full of aminos for chickens more weight etc also gained how is that bad ?
And the oats why remove them ? There far and phosphorus Beta glucan and amino too ?
The cp is why they get cheese n meat n stuff too

This is what they was on till 2 week ago when we swapped as instructed
And again with added scraps of meat n stuff too we always give em food to scratch at greens egg herbs meat cheese etc to boost be protein

Organic Baby Chick Starter Feed Recipe (No Fish Meal)

5 cups organic hull-less oats
5 cups organic wheat
5 cups organic split green peas or organic field peas
2 cups organic (shelled) sunflower seeds
1 cup organic flax meal or organic sesame seeds
2 Tbs blackstrap molasses
1/4 cup organic kelp
2 Tbs brewer’s yeast

And this link is on videos and websites allover
https://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2016/06/homemade-chicken-feed-recipe.html

We add the meat as said
I've offered my understanding of the science. With links. You've offered opinion and series of recipes you aren't actually following. They are your birds, do as you will.

Back
Top Bottom