I have a problem...PIC HEAVY

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bethandjoeync, May 2, 2009.

1. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    We have 4 hens and had bought 16 day-old chicks from tsc and they are now 6 weeks old. Joey came across a listing on craigslist of someone selling chicks of various ages, in our area (like 6 miles away turns out) and he had breeds that we didn't have. at a very LOW price IMO. here is the link if anyone is interested. http://charlotte.craigslist.org/grd/1150271773.html

so we thought we would call and check them out. and we came home with 3 "araucanas" (which are probably just EEs) and 3 barnevelders (I think they are double laced) all around 5 to 6 weeks old. one looks a little shy of 5 weeks though. they have perked up since we brought them home and are getting used to having more room to run around. we have them in the brooder for now, because they are considerably smaller than our other 6 week old chicks. but this will give us a chance to give them some TLC and get them used to us. we weren't planning on getting chicks right now, but we figured what would six more do? here are a few pics of them:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

so my problem is, I can't stop GETTING CHICKS TO ADD TO MY FLOCK! I just couldn't stand seeing an empty brooder and all my chickies are out in the coop

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Oh geez! Ya'll got another member for Chick-aholics!!

3. New adventure

New adventure Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Pueblo, Colorado
    What little cuties! I have 22 7-week babies in my basement because it won't stop raining long enough to get the coop finished. They have grown from 1 brooder full to 3 big dog crates and are taking over!

I think I'm cured for at least a little while. Of course, I haven't been close enough to grab any others lately!!!

4. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    Take your temp: If it says 26 in counting, you have CHICKEN FEVER... can easily be cured. Buy more chicks when the brooder's empty and call me in the morning. [​IMG]

I'm right there with you. I brought home 10 Lav Ameracaunas today and slipped to hubbie that this is just the beginning and he says OH NO...but he doesn't realize that there are going to be 20 or so chicks and 10 or so ducklings coming in the mail... Tee Hee Hee. [​IMG]

5. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    [​IMG]

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    They are beautiful!

I must say though that I think I'm now in control.

When to the feed store yesterday... they had week old chicks... some beautiful Rhodies that I thought would look smashing with our week old ameraucanas. Dear Son#5 says... "Dad, aren't you going to buy a couple?"... to that I said... "Do you want your mother to do me in?"

He smiled.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    They are addicting.......

8. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    they look like they are settling in very well [​IMG]

9. Slywoody

Slywoody Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    MINN.
    There really isn't any cure. You might as well face that head on. I've been foolin' around with chickens my whole life ( i'm 60 yrs. old). I've found out the best thing you can do is keep scrounging for coop and brooder materials, feeders and waterers, cause you'll need them. I'm VERY fond of lumber and wire. I'll pick up a short 2x4 off the side of the road. I brake hard at all constuction sites, yard and garage sales. I take great pride in the fact that i hardly EVER buy new material. Seems i'm getting worse too. Now i blame it all on old age.lol. Eccentricity is a state of mind i've come to enjoy!! Good Luck Woody

10. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:That is exactly my problem-coop 1/2 built and its been raining off and on for 2 weeks-when its nice we are all working -we get off work and it rains!!! I have 2 brooders in my garage--doesn't and wont bother me when the brooders are empty-they will be in a coop!!! I can't wait-besides I have way too many eggs in bator-so my brooder will be full again in ooooh 10 days!!!!! yeahhhh [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by